1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

out the go!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by aran, Dec 6, 2007.

1. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    Well I just let 5 young uns in with the main flock. They are (I think..cant really remember LOL) 8weeks old and are fully feathered. They are 1 female rouen duck, 2 australorp pullets, 1 light brahma pullet and 1 RIR pullet. They are doing well...eating and drinking, not getting TOO picked on although some pecking is inevitable...the enclosure is large though so plenty of hiding spots. Thankfully there is no wind today so its cold, but sunny and not windy. Now the baby coop just has bantams and 5 of our muttly mutt chicks we hatched which look to be ALL red sexlink pullets except one which looks to be a white rock pullet...they are only 5 weeks old or thereabouts so their sexes will become more evident in time.
    Still have 10 blue orps/ameraucanas in the brooder upstairs doing well...they are awesome colours and are feathering up nicely...probably 3 weeks old now i would guess. I will be moving them out to the heated baby coop in a couple of weeks.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Aran, I can't wait to see updated pics of the babies you hatched from my bunch! Bet they're just adorable. I love all the shades of blue/gray you get.

3. aran

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    they are all doing fabulously...I am such a slacker not getting pictures taken...Im sorry I will get my act together i promise! The little silver one is my favourite of all of them!

4. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    Glad to hear everything is going well, haven't heard from you in a while. Did you ever get the beast trapped or eliminated?

randy

5. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    [​IMG]

rouens can't fly like mallards, right?

6. aran

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    nope and nope. Never have seen the beast again although I set traps for weeks. We reinforced the inside of the chainlink run and have a tight wire door around the entry gate into the run. In addition I lock the birds away at night each day...no further casualties.

Our rouens cannot fly although they try.

7. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    Whatever happened to aran?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by