Outdoor Aviary

Frosty

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 30, 2008
ND
I would like to build an outdoor aviary for my conures, just for warm weather. I am looking for suggestions on what wire to use and where to source it. I'm thinking 1"x1" holes? Would a double wall with hardware cloth on the outer part be a good idea to protect them from predators? The wire that they can reach and chew on should probably not be galvanized, so... powder coated? Stainless? And should I add some plants for them to destroy? Any suggestions are appreciated!

You do not want any holes larger than a half inch.
Nice and eats can easily fit thru a one inch hole.

I was thinking a wood frame with 1" wire on the inside and 1/2" (or maybe 1/4") hardware cloth around the outside with the width of the wood frame (3" or 4") separating the the 2 layers. Mice can go through 1/2". Staying out all year isn't a good option, -30F is difficult to heat unless I built a shed with a furnace or something. Space heaters and heat lamps might get it up to 0F when we have the cold spells. I think they'll be better off back in the house though maybe not as happy that they'll have less space...

I was thinking a wood frame with 1" wire on the inside and 1/2" (or maybe 1/4") hardware cloth around the outside with the width of the wood frame (3" or 4") separating the the 2 layers. Mice can go through 1/2". Staying out all year isn't a good option, -30F is difficult to heat unless I built a shed with a furnace or something. Space heaters and heat lamps might get it up to 0F when we have the cold spells. I think they'll be better off back in the house though maybe not as happy that they'll have less space...
Yes with your sustained colder temps, probably not a good year round plan. We’ve been extremely lucky with milder winters overall here but i still try to have an emergency backup plan

Back
Top Bottom