Hello, all!
I'm Noi, it's nice to meet all of you :)

We just moved to VA (Hanover county) and my first chicks are coming in 2 weeks. So excited!

I ordered 15 of a few different kinds (at least 2 each sho they'll each have a buddy), all of which are supposed to be hardy, healthy breeds who tolerate the cold really well, because we're renting and this is the set up we're going to use (see pic, hopefully it will let me attach).

It's a huge run, completely secure from predators, but no roof and the only shelter in there right now is the long wooden box.

I have 2 questions...
Our landlord said he's raised chickens there just like that (no coop) for years and all were fine, and I know many breeds used to just live outdoors and obviously they're still around.
I'd like too know what you all think - especially from the "natural chicken raising" folks, as I have enough of the "you must start them indoors and use a heater in winter" opinions on all the Facebook groups - will they be ok? What kinds of shelter *that isn't a coop* can I provide for them, if needed, that is easy and cheap to create? I'm thinking adult chickens won't need it until winter but I'd like to be prepared.

Second, I LOVE the mama heating pad way of brooding- it makes so much more sense to me - and I plan on doing that. Would you set up the brooder in that covered nesting shelter? I was thinking of putting it in one end (with room behind it so they can get out) and letting them have the length of it foot shelter, deciding how far they want to venture out. They have the whole run, no other animals in there so they'll be safe venturing out.
Will they get lost if they venture out too far? Do I need to box them in a little for a while?

Ok, sorry, one more question - what hearing plate should I get for 15 chicks? I'm not sure I want to use a heating pad but I know which one to get if I go that route.
View attachment 1738684 View attachment 1738685
TIA for all your help and advice - I've been reading so much on this site and just love all the support and info that is shared here!
Baby chicks can survive outside if they have a mother hen. I would think that they could venture out when they are tiny and not be able to get back to the heat source.

Oooh, an A-frame coop! That might work! Thank you!

The idea to raise the nesting box on legs was mine :) need to check if LL allows it (his stuff, his rules...).

I'm not a big fan of the tractor coops but I'll do some more research on them... might be an easy way to also move the flock later. I'm just wondering how huge it'll need to be for 15 chickens...

I’m building out an A frame next for a rehabilitation coop... I’ve heard they can be annoying to work with though, but I’m willing to try anything once...

I have 10 hens and 1 cockerel in a 6x12 overall Tractor. 3x6 feet of it is a roosting box for night shelter and nesting. So far it’s working well sizewise for my chickens, the actual roosting bar area is only 46”x36” with 4 roosts 3’ long. I wanted a walk in tractor for my layers.

I’m thinking a 4x5 or 6 foot “box” with a shed style roof would suffice well. Build it small enough to fit through the door and don’t worry about attatching a run. Here, you can stick wheels on something and it’s not subject to local building inspection, which is why I have three tractors but no coops...

You have plenty of time to figure it out before winter... I’d look through the coopbuild forum for inspiration, there’s lots of great ideas on there!

F5FB5C44-93C3-4B9E-94E6-BA7F93B26071.jpeg
A4BF211B-68EC-4799-A96B-A3F8892E4666.jpeg
33078DB4-0549-4F27-98BF-A2A0F469E06E.jpeg

How tall is that run space? Even if you don't want to build a coop, I'd make something of a roofed area or a lean-to, so the birds can take cover during rain or snow.

It's taller than a person!
Ok, I'll find a way to limit their space for the first couple of weeks.
I'll also double check the minimum temp for the plate, though I doubt there would be a problem in early May in VA...
Thank you for the info and advice!
I can't wait for them to get here :)
(I ordered day-old chicks)

Hi Kris,
Thanks for your input.

I'm not sure how keen my land lord is to let me build/add/change things in the run, as it's his and he seems to think they don't need anything...
So I will not be building a coop this year. But I will make some kind of a 3-sided, roofed shelter for them, and/or maybe cover some of the fence with a tarp for some added weather protection.

Maybe we can raise the nesting box thingie once they're big and winter comes? That should give good shelter... and there are plastic containers they could lay in, in addition to that.
Thoughts?

Also if the key is being non-permanent for being “coop-less” I would suggest using those deck block pylon thingies as a footing for it. Insulation isn’t the problem I see, it’s lack of cover/sleeping on a frozen or wet surface. Possible condensation inside the plastic boxes if they are used as winter shelter due to lack of ventilation.

Wild chickens in Hawaii or Florida aren’t facing a Virginia winter (I think you guys get snow there? Right) and would also have the freedom to choose their own appropriate roosting spot for the night. Wind and rain protection. You could use an old piece of furniture as a starting place, a table or a bunk bed? I’m not saying they have to be heated as adults, or coddled, or that you need a big structure... just that you don’t want them getting soggy or exposed to strong winds. As they are confined to a run, we need to do our best to meet their needs.

It looks like you have all you need in the run. We elevate nest boxes to save floor space, and to reach the eggs easily. The girls will lay in the dirt for all they care.
Plastic totes make great shelters and nest boxes, and you can lay/cut them many ways to make it work. Lid on, lid off...
The box looks like it will provide shelter. They don’t need insulation in the winter. That is another fussy thing people do.
So, do you think the plastic boxes and nesting box will provide enough winter shelter for them? I was kind of thinking they would but I'm not experienced with chickens, so...

Yes, they will have places to roost. A branch or board or pallet or something. :)

There will be no tree planting! We're only going to be there one year, and LL doesn't want any permanent changes made.
Oh! But I'm allowed to plant in big containers so maybe I'll do that! Lol

Thanks so much for your input.

Insulation isn’t the problem I see, it’s lack of cover/sleeping on a frozen or wet surface. Possible condensation inside the plastic boxes if they are used as winter shelter due to lack of ventilation.

Wild chickens in Hawaii or Florida aren’t facing a Virginia winter (I think you guys get snow there? Right) and would also have the freedom to choose their own appropriate roosting spot for the night. Wind and rain protection. You could use an old piece of furniture as a starting place, a table or a bunk bed? I’m not saying they have to be heated as adults, or coddled, or that you need a big structure... just that you don’t want them getting soggy or exposed to strong winds. As they are confined to a run, we need to do our best to meet their needs.

Yes, we get a little snow and it gets a bit below freezing point. Nothing crazy like NY (where we lived many years ago)...

I could maybe drill a few small holes at the top, if there's enough space that the Dickens won't get a direct draft on them... hmm.

A table- not a bad idea at all! I can wrap the legs in a tarp so they will have good shelter all around (i know, i know, ventilation ;) ).

I'll also check out craigslist, that's a great idea!
Thank you!

That you’ve got such good height and really large doors, you could always build a chicken tractor on wheels and park it inside the run. Then if you move you can take it with you and add a run to it at a new property while you build something else. Like a little chicken RV... built in portable housing so you can take your flock with you when you move. I like the Tractors a lot myself, I’ve got three for layers and am building out some for my meat birds as well.

Oooh, an A-frame coop! That might work! Thank you!

The idea to raise the nesting box on legs was mine :) need to check if LL allows it (his stuff, his rules...).

I'm not a big fan of the tractor coops but I'll do some more research on them... might be an easy way to also move the flock later. I'm just wondering how huge it'll need to be for 15 chickens...

There's tons of plans for little A-frame coops that look like they could fit inside your run, and I'm guessing if you ever move, you could take it with you. I also liked the idea someone suggested of elevating your box as they get older, so it would provide shelter, and provide more run room underneath.
Good luck!

That you’ve got such good height and really large doors, you could always build a chicken tractor on wheels and park it inside the run. Then if you move you can take it with you and add a run to it at a new property while you build something else. Like a little chicken RV... built in portable housing so you can take your flock with you when you move. I like the Tractors a lot myself, I’ve got three for layers and am building out some for my meat birds as well.

I have 10 hens and 1 cockerel in a 6x12 overall Tractor. 3x6 feet of it is a roosting box for night shelter and nesting. So far it’s working well sizewise for my chickens, the actual roosting bar area is only 46”x36” with 4 roosts 3’ long. I wanted a walk in tractor for my layers.

I’m thinking a 4x5 or 6 foot “box” with a shed style roof would suffice well.

Thank you, and sorry for the delay in responding, we were busy flying

I'm still not sure what I have there (nesting box) is enough shelter for the baby chicks with the MHP set up. Wondering if I should add a big storage container and set it up right next to it, so they have both...

Plus I think the opening faces the direction the rain comes from :(
And it's not moveable...

Back
Top Bottom