Outdoor dog?

The weather here isn't too bad, basically Montrose CO. See pic

I don't mind the big breeds, but it sucks when they get hurt or something and you have to carry them etc.

Toy breeds seem too yappy and kinda worthless for protection. Some medium breed might be right for me.

I don't have a garage but can let them in mud room a few months a year if i need to. That would keep someone from entering through that door at least.

Attachments

• 20211129_173643.jpg
    20211129_173643.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 2
Those temperatures don't look too bad.
There are probably quite a lot of medium-sized dogs that would be fine outdoors in those temperatures, IF they have a doghouse to curl up in, and some kind of a windbreak. Your house might be a fine windbreak, if the dog is free to move to another side when the wind changes.

I don't have a garage but can let them in mud room a few months a year if i need to. That would keep someone from entering through that door at least.
You could consider one of those chainlink dog kennels, and put it where someone must walk through to get to the door.

If you specifically want the house protected, you could put a fence around the house, so the dog has access to all sides, even if you don't want to fence all the way out at the edge of your property. (Smaller fence is cheaper.)

Dogs can be contained by an electric fence (strand of wire that zaps the dog if it crosses) or invisible fence (dog wears a collar that shocks it, triggered by going across a wire underground.) Either of those is cheaper than a big physical fence, but each one requires much more dog training than a physical fence. Some dogs learn to go over or under an electric fence, or run right past the shock of the invisible fence-- the right training makes the dog less likely to figure that out.

You could also consider a dog door from the mudroom to outside. That would let the dog come in for more shelter if it wants to, but it would probably spend most of the time outside just because the mudroom is boring (compared to outside).

The weather here isn't too bad, basically Montrose CO. See pic

I don't mind the big breeds, but it sucks when they get hurt or something and you have to carry them etc.

Toy breeds seem too yappy and kinda worthless for protection. Some medium breed might be right for me.

I heard great pyneese are suppose to be good with chickens farm animals and kids and used for pertective I would say there a medium to large dog

I heard great pyneese are suppose to be good with chickens farm animals and kids and used for pertective I would say there a medium to large dog
Pyrenees are huge, I have two crosses. Both are well over 100lbs.
The pyrenees breed is not super aggressive, so their job is to bark. They bark ALL NIGHT LONG, but they're very good with my livestock.

Back
Top Bottom