Outdoor food in snow

What's the reasoning behind taking the food and water out of the coop in the first place?

Good question! Several of my long-time chicken-keeping friends who have backgrounds in veterinary medicine recommended eliminating the water in particular because it adds to the moisture level in the coop -- something we want to keep down in the colder months and colder climes to decrease risk of frostbite, respiratory illness, etc. As for the food, there's really no reason to keep it in the coop since chickens don't eat when they sleep. It is also an attractant to hungry mice and rats, and bugs in summer. Again for those of us in colder climates, putting it outside encourages the birds to get outside for some sunshine and fresh air at least a couple times daily in order to eat. Hope that helps! Cheers.

Good question! Several of my long-time chicken-keeping friends who have backgrounds in veterinary medicine recommended eliminating the water in particular because it adds to the moisture level in the coop -- something we want to keep down in the colder months and colder climes to decrease risk of frostbite, respiratory illness, etc. As for the food, there's really no reason to keep it in the coop since chickens don't eat when they sleep. It is also an attractant to hungry mice and rats, and bugs in summer. Again for those of us in colder climates, putting it outside encourages the birds to get outside for some sunshine and fresh air at least a couple times daily in order to eat. Hope that helps! Cheers.
Thank you!

I tried to clear a path but they wouldn't even poke their heads out. Gave in and put the hanging feeder and nipple waterer back in for the time being :( I know they should be outside but I am afraid they're stubborn enough to go without.
Horizontal nipples?

Again for those of us in colder climates, putting it outside encourages the birds to get outside for some sunshine and fresh air at least a couple times daily in order to eat.
Unless there is a 2-3-4 day raging snowstorm or frigid temps or high winds.
I keep both feed and water inside coop all year around.
But my run is not weather proof.
Safer to power the heated waterer and easier for me as feed is stored inside coop shed.

Back
Top Bottom