Outdoor Incubator: Can it be done?

Compadre

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
Hi, I asked this many moons ago on here and did not get an answer so I'm bringing it up again. Does any company, whether it be a cabinet or stryofoam type incubator, make one that can function in the garage where temps may fluctuate 10 degrees or more? How about high temps in the 90's? Low temps of 50's? I've got the okay from my wife to incubate eggs for my quail, so long as it's not located anywhere within the house so I'm looking for an incubator to put in the garage or back porch that does not require the room it's in to be climate controlled. Any help?

I can't answer your question. But I have a follow up question for you. And feel free to not bother to answer me. But, why is she not willing to let you incubate in the house? I can see her say, "no brooding in the house", but incubation? Unless space is such a tight premium that you couldn't spare a few square feet. I've even heard of people setting bators up in a closet or in a cabinet. Incubation does not carry any odor or dust issues, the way brooding does. And honestly, it's an incredible experience to watch an egg develop and hatch. I see you have a little one. Your child would be incredibly blessed to be able to watch chicks hatch! Now, moving on to the nuts and bolts of your question: IMO, the most likely way for you to have a successful hatch with the temp extremes that you describe would be to MAKE an incubator out of a re-purposed dorm sized refrigerator. You'd need a very accurate thermostat. Are you able to wire a lamp if you have the instructions? Can you do basic home maintenance, and do you have the tools to do so? If so, you should be able to make an incubator. Check out Rush Lane Poultry on the web. He has some excellent tutorials about making incubators. Some of the newer thermostats can be hooked up for both heating and cooling. I have no idea about the cooling angle, and you most likely won't need to COOL your bator. If you choose the right time of the year, and perhaps section off a small area of your garage with supplemental thermostatically controlled heat, you could do it there. Best of luck, and I do hope you can convert your wife to a chicken lover... for the sake of your little one... so the little one can have the joy of watching a hatch!!!

I can't answer your question. But I have a follow up question for you. And feel free to not bother to answer me. But, why is she not willing to let you incubate in the house? I can see her say, "no brooding in the house", but incubation? Unless space is such a tight premium that you couldn't spare a few square feet. I've even heard of people setting bators up in a closet or in a cabinet. Incubation does not carry any odor or dust issues, the way brooding does. And honestly, it's an incredible experience to watch an egg develop and hatch. I see you have a little one. Your child would be incredibly blessed to be able to watch chicks hatch! Now, moving on to the nuts and bolts of your question: IMO, the most likely way for you to have a successful hatch with the temp extremes that you describe would be to MAKE an incubator out of a re-purposed dorm sized refrigerator. You'd need a very accurate thermostat. Are you able to wire a lamp if you have the instructions? Can you do basic home maintenance, and do you have the tools to do so? If so, you should be able to make an incubator. Check out Rush Lane Poultry on the web. He has some excellent tutorials about making incubators. Some of the newer thermostats can be hooked up for both heating and cooling. I have no idea about the cooling angle, and you most likely won't need to COOL your bator. If you choose the right time of the year, and perhaps section off a small area of your garage with supplemental thermostatically controlled heat, you could do it there. Best of luck, and I do hope you can convert your wife to a chicken lover... for the sake of your little one... so the little one can have the joy of watching a hatch!!!
Yea, we've been there and done that in the house a few times already I have had to use the under sink kitchen cabinet area in the past and may be able to again. Just wanted the option of using it outdoors in the garage area if possible. I like the idea of building a fridgabator as well as long as it did not take up too much space in the garage. Overall the garage or back porch would be ideal as my spouse is not a quail or chicken kind of person.

Back
Top Bottom