Outdoor rabbit habitat?

Machoman6666

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2023
How do I make this empty chicken coop suitable for a bunny to live in? And do I leave the floor bare or do I put pine shavings?

I am also thinking of putting wooden ramps to the two shelves.

IMG_5280.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like a good amount of space there. I would leave the floor bare, it will stay cleaner if you litter train your rabbit, plus you won't have to pay for bedding.
Add a nice sized litter box, some hides, and toys and that should work quite well. Shelves would be nice too.
Do you currently have a rabbit or are you planning on adopting one soon?

Looks like a good amount of space there. I would leave the floor bare, it will stay cleaner if you litter train your rabbit, plus you won't have to pay for bedding.
Add a nice sized litter box, some hides, and toys and that should work quite well. Shelves would be nice too.
Do you currently have a rabbit or are you planning on adopting one soon?
Thanks. I’m still debating if I should have pigeons or a rabbit occupy this former chicken coop. I’m only in the planning stage at this moment. What do you recommend I keep in there: multiple pigeons or a rabbit?

Thanks. I’m still debating if I should have pigeons or a rabbit occupy this former chicken coop. I’m only in the planning stage at this moment. What do you recommend I keep in there: multiple pigeons or a rabbit?
I personally don't know much about pigeons, but it really depends on what you're wanting them for. Be sure to research the needs of both animals before deciding, both can make good pets but they each have specific care requirements.

If you do choose a rabbit, I highly recommend adopting a bonded pair so they won't become lonely. Adopting a bonded pair, who have both been fixed and gone through the actual bonding process, are guaranteed to get along better than say, two siblings bought as babies. That way you skip the whole hormonal bunny teenage phase too (which comes along with many undesirable behaviors).

I personally don't know much about pigeons, but it really depends on what you're wanting them for. Be sure to research the needs of both animals before deciding, both can make good pets but they each have specific care requirements.

If you do choose a rabbit, I highly recommend adopting a bonded pair so they won't become lonely. Adopting a bonded pair, who have both been fixed and gone through the actual bonding process, are guaranteed to get along better than say, two siblings bought as babies. That way you skip the whole hormonal bunny teenage phase too (which comes along with many undesirable behaviors).
If I do have a rabbit or two rabbits, how smelly will their urine be if they use a litter box? I can clean their litter box at least once a day. This enclosure is next to my neighbor’s garage.

I have two rabbits and clean their litter boxes about once a week. I use a couple low lying bins from Walmart and put in about two inches of aspen shavings or paper bedding from Petsmart. Whenever I see a pile of droppings I just throw on a handful of bedding to cover it, and no one can smell it unless they are standing very close or perhaps there's a strong wind or they just have an excellent sense of smell :).

Back
Top Bottom