Outgrowing the Tote

ChikinInThePines

Songster
6 Years
Mar 13, 2017
South Carolina, USA
Hey Everyone!

My wife and I acquired 8 free chicks from our friends nearby. 4 Blue Factor Brahmas, 2 Speckled Sussex, and 2 Rhode Island Blues (Our friends pure-breed rare stuff). So far, they have been doing great! Not scared/hand-shy and are very healthy. They are at about 1.5 weeks old now and are starting to outgrow and get too hyper/flighty for their plastic tote. We bought a giant heavy duty plastic tote that was on sale at Lowes for $15.00 - it's about 2'x3'.
I found some wood pieces I had laying around and made a simple box that measures about 4'x5' which would be PERFECT. However, we don't have space in our house for them (which is where they are now), and our shed/barn is wayyy too cold as we're about to get 20-degree weather.

I was curious if anyone had any good ideas for a cheap-er, larger brooder idea? We are getting 16 more chicks come April, so we can re-use it if possible.

Hey Everyone!

My wife and I acquired 8 free chicks from our friends nearby. 4 Blue Factor Brahmas, 2 Speckled Sussex, and 2 Rhode Island Blues (Our friends pure-breed rare stuff). So far, they have been doing great! Not scared/hand-shy and are very healthy. They are at about 1.5 weeks old now and are starting to outgrow and get too hyper/flighty for their plastic tote. We bought a giant heavy duty plastic tote that was on sale at Lowes for $15.00 - it's about 2'x3'.
I found some wood pieces I had laying around and made a simple box that measures about 4'x5' which would be PERFECT. However, we don't have space in our house for them (which is where they are now), and our shed/barn is wayyy too cold as we're about to get 20-degree weather.

I was curious if anyone had any good ideas for a cheap-er, larger brooder idea? We are getting 16 more chicks come April, so we can re-use it if possible.
I just put my 2 week old chicks in a tent! It has great ventilation and they can’t hop out. I had to teach them to use a brooder plate but they figured it out.

I was going to use a typical pole style tent I’ve had for 20 years but I had this pop up tent I got for the kids and it’s too small and doesn’t have a rain fly to use for real camping so chicken brooder it is!

There are two person tents on amazon for under $30.

EBD16335-3B1D-4FE1-9DF6-B188FE3C0D98.jpeg

66A019A0-447B-4FD6-95D5-BDC9B4F6F38E.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom