Outhouse Chicken Coop!!!!

Quote:
Awesome coop! LOVE IT.

THANKS!!
big_smile.png

Quote:
you misspelled that, twice.

Depends on what part of the country you are from, downs here we spell it sitter.
lol.png

I actually just did this myself!

I took apart the old outhouse at my grandmaw's house, took it to my house, and rebuilt it. My mom actually remembers using it when they first moved in, before my grandpaw built on a bathroom on the house. That would have been about 45 years ago, but I dont know the actual age of the outhouse. Lucky for me it was built on a concrete slab, and had a pretty big overhanging roof, so there was minimal rotting.

Anyway, I built a 48x48 skid from a half sheet of 7/8 plywood, and cut up a 12-foot treated 4x4 into three pieces for the runners. Then I reconstructed the outhouse on top of that. I made a removeable floor 18 inches up, so I would have dry storage inside, underneath. I kept the front and two sides original, so it looks like a regular outhouse from my back porch. I built a nest box and a pop door into the back wall. Then I tacked up 1/4" hardware cloth around the top at the roof ventilation, and over the larger holes/cracks.

It was all built out of stuff I had laying around, leftovers from building my "meth lab", lol. That's what I call the storage building I built down in the woods on my property. The only things I bought were the hook and eyes, hinges, and hardware cloth. I think I have about $20 in it.

I was going to post it up a few weeks ago so people could see it, but apparently I can't post pictures yet since Im a new member. I will try to upload them to an image hosting site and start a thread that way.

Please let me know how it goes for you. Good luck!

Good idea. I actually was thinking about doing this for my ducks but I built them another pen and used another building. Get this, my outhouse was a double seater. I wonder how that went down with two people in the outhouse...

Quote:
My grandmaw's house had at least 9 people living there at a time. They would probably have enjoyed the "luxury" of a second seat, lol. My wife's grandmaw's outhouse is a double-seater also. I guess it's something you wouldn't think twice about if you grew up that way. I can sure tell you my 3 chickens dont mind pooping in there together!

Back
Top Bottom