Outside brooder in draft free coop?

Jed_Clampet

Hatching
10 Years
Jan 19, 2010
Been searching but can't really find a answer to my question. I am currently working on my new coop, 12x12 constructed under the overhang of my shed. Can I safely brood 25-30 chicks inside the coop once it is sealed up? Would the heat lamps provide them enough warmth for cold nights? I thought I could just make a cardboard circle area in middle with the necessary food and water. Thanks!

Where are you located?
Yes, chicks can be raised in any draft free and predator proof enclosure so long as the temps. can be kept at the level needed per their age; i.e., 90 to 95 degrees the first week, decreasing by 5 degrees a week.

I meant to put my location...sorry!
big_smile.png
I'm located 50 miles west of Charlotte, NC. Usually we have mild winters and springs but just had a cold spell where temps at night went into the low teens. That's not normal though, upper 20s to low 40s most of the time for night time temps.

Okay, I'm a native tarheel so pretty familiar with your weather.
Here's a pic of my brooder. It was in an un-insulated but draft-free shed.

P4090017.jpg

We used the oil-filled electric heater for the first few nights, after that just the heat lamps.

Your brooder looks great! The floor in mine is mostly dirt so I'm not sure if that matters either (cold feet?) Thanks for the reply.

My weather was a little warmer than yours, but I did pretty much what you are talking about doing. Out of 28 chicks, 28 survived. Make sure the brooder is draft-free but with good ventilation. I kept a portion of the brooder up to the recommended temperature but I let part of mine be a little cooler so the individuals can find their comfort zone. Some seem to like it a bit cooler than others.

Your cardboard circle sounds good but be prepared for them to start flying out of it pretty soon. My only concern would be that they can get out over the top but not get back in where it is warm.

Good luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom