Outside Brooder?

artvandolay

Songster
Feb 16, 2023
So. California
I have about 18 chicks (Seramas, Australorps, Marans, Old English Orpington, Olive Eggers, Easter Eggers, Brahma, Dominique, Plymouth Rock) that just hatched the other day and want to move them outside sooner than later so they get used to being outside, but want some feedback or how-tos.

I have them inside with my 16x24" RentACoop heating plate and in two connecting large cardboard boxes, like a coop and run. However, they will be getting too big for that box soon and I don't think I will have space other than in my garage, which I can use if needed.

But I am thinking they can go outside in a couple of weeks because after all, they are outside animals. I just don't want them to die because I make a bad decision to put them out too early.

It is in the 50s and 40s at night and 60s and 70s during the day here in Los Angeles.

When do you think I should put them in an outside brooder and run and what should I do to prepare them?

TIA

You can put them out "now" - really just need a chick proofed/predator protected enclosure, and draft free/weather protected areas where they can shelter as needed, and heat source.

I raise chicks straight from the feed store at 2-3 days old outside, in temps ranging from mid 40s to 60s, and haven't had an issue: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/
What heat source do you use? Can I use my heating plate or do they need something with more heat to put out as they get larger as I have 18?

I am noticing after a 2-3 days they are just huddling up around each other in the run and not in the brooder. The room is about 77. The tilted heat plate runs from 100 in the back as measured by my laser thermometer on the floor to about 80 in the front so they're not too hot and can pick their preferred temp.

What heat source do you use? Can I use my heating plate or do they need something with more heat to put out as they get larger as I have 18?
I use a mama heating pad as shown in the article.

You need to check the instructions on your heat plate to see if there's a specified temperature range for use - some require 50F or higher ambient to operate. Under 50F you would need to add a heat lamp to warm the area to get the plate to operate (at which point you might as well just do a heat lamp and not the plate at all). Most likely a single heat plate will not be large enough for 18 chicks, again check what the instructions say on your plate (and assume the "max" size is overly optimistic, as many plates can't hold as many chicks as they claim).

I use a mama heating pad as shown in the article.

You need to check the instructions on your heat plate to see if there's a specified temperature range for use - some require 50F or higher ambient to operate. Under 50F you would need to add a heat lamp to warm the area to get the plate to operate (at which point you might as well just do a heat lamp and not the plate at all). Most likely a single heat plate will not be large enough for 18 chicks, again check what the instructions say on your plate (and assume the "max" size is overly optimistic, as many plates can't hold as many chicks as they claim).
Yes, the heat plate is for 50 chicks, but most are about half that so that is why I have that one. I don't think it specified the ambient temperature to operate, but I will check.

I'll also check the article for the pad. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom