Outside Broody question? Please help!

nuttyredhead

Songster
10 Years
May 3, 2010
Southern NH
My broody is outside in the coop (in a large wire dog crate). The eggs are due to hatch tues/wed, it is still fairly cold here. I am not using a heat lamp, Mama will keep them warm but what about the water? Im afraid if I put it on top of the heated waterer it will be way to high for the chicks? And Im not sure the nipple waterers would get here in time, and they might freeze too.

Any advise???

I suggest you to put her in the house(With the eggs of course
tongue.png
), garage,other coop. Away from the chickens in a warm place where the water won't freeze. Cold water will discourage the chicks from drinking it.

Hope This Heps!!!
wee.gif

I was afraid you would say that! Unfortunetely they will need to stay in the coop. Maybe i will build a ramp to the waterer and then i can use the heated base!

I am sure it is not nearly as cold here as it is there but my Silkie hens have just hatched out a few chicks. Two different coops and pens, they always stay in general population while hatching and raising. My roos are very understanding and the other hens are very helpful. I just bust the water a few times a day so they can get water or take a bit of warm water out when I go to check on everyone and pour it over the ice.

Our lows have been in the high 20's and daytime highs are around 48. The chicks run right out with mama hens to scratch in the dirt.
I do not put water in the coops unless there is snow on the ground. It is much too hard to keep shavings out of it.

I say no need to put them in the house. If you have a heated waterer for them, all you need is a few bricks or concrete block pieces -- or whatever you can scrounge. My baby chick waterer is on pieces of concrete blocks with more pieces used to build steps. You'd be surprised how soon they can hop up to it, like day 3, and they have their yolk til then so are not much motivated to try.

Back
Top Bottom