Outside Rearing house for older chicks?

Boomer101

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 6, 2014
Saddleworth, Yorkshire
Hello guys, I have 2 young chicks ( 3 weeks old) in a brooder right now but I'm looking for a suitable rearing house for them when the time comes to move them outside. I also have some more eggs incubating which I set today.

Already have small established flock in their own coop but they won't join them for a while obviously.

The question is, does anyone have any suggestions for a suitable rearing house? Makes and models appreciated but I'm also in the UK so not all will be available to me so pictures of your own ones would be great. Minimum requirements ie roosts, warmth etc I've heard even rabbit hutches can do the job?

I don't have power to the coops so it would be without heating.

Much love :) :cd

Are you looking for something permanent, or just to use for one or two batches of chicks? Do you have a pen to put it inside or would you need to do fencing also? I've used doghouses inside a pen quite often, weather permitting, for chicks that were old enough to go outside but not big enough to integrate with the older birds. I often don't even put perches in the houses, especially with the heavier breeds that seem to like sleeping on the floor when young anyhow. You might also post in the UK thread for a better chance of getting answers from people in your area.

Are you looking for something permanent, or just to use for one or two batches of chicks? Do you have a pen to put it inside or would you need to do fencing also? I've used doghouses inside a pen quite often, weather permitting, for chicks that were old enough to go outside but not big enough to integrate with the older birds. I often don't even put perches in the houses, especially with the heavier breeds that seem to like sleeping on the floor when young anyhow. You might also post in the UK thread for a better chance of getting answers from people in your area.

Thanks for the reply Kelsie, yes it'd be a permanent one as I'd later use it for more hens when my current one is full. I'd like an integrated house and attached run but only a small one.
Interesting idea with the doghouse, will look into that.
Didn't know there was a UK thread, new to these forums. Thanks again :)

Back
Top Bottom