Outside Skirting … is this ok?

I added about 4" deep of ~1" rock over my anti-dig skirt and it was kicked around almost immediately by the chickens once they got access to that area; it's all in the grass and where I didn't want it. Have since buried it with dirt from the run and wood mulch over the top. I've also had many chickens who are able to kick around 4-6" cobble stones and chunks of firewood quite easily.

As for the comment about pop doors - I don't even have a door between my coop and attached run, because the whole structure is fully secured. I added a 2nd run like you have done for more daily space - that's where I added an auto door because opening/closing the man-door got old real quick; also we had a great horn owl fly through the man-door and get stuck inside the coop.

I added about 4" deep of ~1" rock over my anti-dig skirt and it was kicked around almost immediately by the chickens once they got access to that area; it's all in the grass and where I didn't want it. Have since buried it with dirt from the run and wood mulch over the top. I've also had many chickens who are able to kick around 4-6" cobble stones and chunks of firewood quite easily.

As for the comment about pop doors - I don't even have a door between my coop and attached run, because the whole structure is fully secured. I added a 2nd run like you have done for more daily space - that's where I added an auto door because opening/closing the man-door got old real quick; also we had a great horn owl fly through the man-door and get stuck inside the coop.
True - closing the pop door is the safest option, but I’m sure there will be nights when someone (me) forgets or we are away and don’t have anyone to do it. An auto door is an option that I should look into, but then the fear of one getting locked out. 😱

We’ve had small birds get in through the man door - a great horned owl?!? That would be scary and cool at the same time!

True - closing the pop door is the safest option, but I’m sure there will be nights when someone (me) forgets or we are away and don’t have anyone to do it. An auto door is an option that I should look into, but then the fear of one getting locked out. 😱
Get the auto door but don't rely on it to be the only line of defense. It's a tool that's useful if you have nights you're away or simply busy, but you still should check on the flock and coop each night (and morning) when you're available.

Get the auto door but don't rely on it to be the only line of defense. It's a tool that's useful if you have nights you're away or simply busy, but you still should check on the flock and coop each night (and morning) when you're available.
Oh, I do! Every day, every night. I even have a camera in the run to keep an eye on them ;)

My coop has been in place for 6 years. We did a wire skirt around the exterior and rain has washed away the dirt and it’s now exposed. I’m going to bring in dirt and cover with River Rock. Is this sufficient to keep out predators?

Pictures of the wire and a picture of what the “after” should look like attached (but smaller stones than the last photo)

Thanks, all!!

My coop has been in place for 6 years. We did a wire skirt around the exterior and rain has washed away the dirt and it’s now exposed. I’m going to bring in dirt and cover with River Rock. Is this sufficient to keep out predators?

Pictures of the wire and a picture of what the “after” should look like attached (but smaller stones than the last photo)

Thanks, all!!

Hello! I see your skirt is at a right angle and not buried 8 inches or at a more obtuse angle as most literature recommends. You find this prevents everything from a fox to a rat?

Thanks, all!!
I like the wiring. I also have hardware cloth on the bottom. and aproned out 2 feet. So far so good! I covered that with 3/4 inch gravel as one of the people, (Funclucks) mentioned earlier.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-04-29 at 19.11.33.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-04-29 at 19.11.33.jpg
    645.6 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom