Outside temp too hot for chicks?

aer11

In the Brooder
Aug 17, 2019
We have chicks that are currently about 1 1/2 weeks old. We live in Texas, and so the heat has been pretty hot (103 avg). I have been keeping the chicks inside with a heat lamp, but would like to move them outside, at least during the day, at some point. How old do chicks need to be to be able to handle over 100 degree temps?

Thanks!

Annemarie

As long as chicks have shade from direct sun and air is circulating well, and there is plenty of fresh water for them, and maybe a damp sand bath to cool down in, chicks will do splendidly. No need for any extra daytime heat at temps over 75F.If it doesn't cool down below 85F at night, they wouldn't need any added heat to sleep as long as there're no drafts.

My chick was born in 113 degree heat two days ago with two moms....going crazy with worry. I tried to give her water but discovered a great mom knows best...two great moms are incredible.

My chick was born in 113 degree heat two days ago with two moms....going crazy with worry. I tried to give her water but discovered a great mom knows best...two great moms are incredible.

Thank you for the feedback. I have been keeping them inside during the hottest part of the day - when it gets above 105. But they really need to be outside.

That is interesting about your new baby chick. Our plan was to put the day old chicks under a broody hen, but she didn't take to them... so we are now raising them. At the local store, they told me it was too hot for a hen to mother a chick and a mama hen won't want to sit on chicks in this heat. Sounds like your mama hens are doing just fine :)

I am in Texas too and keep chicks outside with no issues. They just need some shade and they will do fine. I do heat at night for the first couple weeks and then no heat at all.

Thanks all! I have kept the chickens outside this week, with shade and water, and they have been fine! I really appreciate the support :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom