Outside time

Chrisco kid

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2020
My chicks are 3 and 4 weeks old. Is it to early to let them in the yard for a short time. Supervised ofcourse.

Should be fine.

Things to be aware of:
--need to be safe from predators. (Pet dog or cat could be a predator)
--need to be a correct temperature. Provide some shade if it's sunny, so the chicks can go in and out of the shade. If you've got really cold weather (below freezing), then also be prepared to bring them in soon.
--provide water if they're going to be outside for more than a few minutes.
--if they will be out for longer (hour or more), put out food too.
--Count them all when you bring them back in, to be sure none get left out by mistake :)
--A fence or play yard can be helpful, because if the chicks get scared they may run quite a ways and then not know how to get back. What will scare them? Anything unexpected: car driving on the road, airplane flying over head, barking dog, tree shaking in the wind, etc.

Have fun with your chicks!

Thanks for the info.These are my very first chickens so I feel very protective of them. Dont want to get it wrong

I’m a new chicken mama too, my guys are 4.5 weeks old. They have has a few day trips out. I started at 3 weeks at about 20 minutes and increased it from there. They stay out for little over an hour now.
The first couple times they were terrified and just huddled together, didn’t move much and peeped loudly in protest! Now they are running (as much as they can in their small pen) stretching, grazing and dust bathing in the dirt. So don’t be alarmed if they aren’t into it on the first couple field trips. 😊

I’m a new chicken mama too, my guys are 4.5 weeks old. They have has a few day trips out. I started at 3 weeks at about 20 minutes and increased it from there. They stay out for little over an hour now.
The first couple times they were terrified and just huddled together, didn’t move much and peeped loudly in protest! Now they are running (as much as they can in their small pen) stretching, grazing and dust bathing in the dirt. So don’t be alarmed if they aren’t into it on the first couple field trips. 😊
20 minutes seems like a good start.

At that age they need quite a bit of exercise and fresh air. In an effort to keep them safe, people often keep them IMO too close and in too small of area. They need to climb on things fly up on things, get out and stretch their legs.

They do need outside protection, sunshine, shade, and protection. I would do a 20 minute start, if you feel comfortable with that but rapidly to move to an hour to 3-4 hours, and then all day.

If you have a coop/run set up, then I would get them out there and not worry about it unless your low temperatures are below 20 degrees F.

They are much healthier outside.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom