Outside time

Tmcfarland

Songster
May 5, 2022
I have chicks who are between 3-4 wks old. They are currently in the house, in a large box/container with all the necessities baby chicks need. The temps outside have been 70s to 80s and I was wondering if, with supervision they are able to go out in the yard for short times or if it’s better to leave them in. Any feedback is appreciated!

I can't see why not, it all depends on what kind of temperatures you've been keeping them under in the house.

I just took my 5 week olds out and left them in a kennel for 3 hours with no problems as they have already feathered out. If it gets too drastically cold they'll pile together.

From my understanding you need to reduce their heater lamp temperature by about 5 degrees each week until 70-80 degrees then only use during cold times/night.

If you keep them too warm they won't develop the feathers they need to regulate their own heat.

I can't see why not, it all depends on what kind of temperatures you've been keeping them under in the house.

I just took my 5 week olds out and left them in a kennel for 3 hours with no problems as they have already feathered out. If it gets too drastically cold they'll pile together.

From my understanding you need to reduce their heater lamp temperature by about 5 degrees each week until 70-80 degrees then only use during cold times/night.

If you keep them too warm they won't develop the feathers they need to regulate their own heat.
Thanks! It’s been between 70-75 in the house so they’ve been fine I think this past week. It’s still cool at night so they will still be inside but I thought some fresh air and sunshine would be good for them. Thanks again for you reply.

Mine are 4 weeks this weekend and have been off heat for almost a week. They are almost (not on their heads yet) fully feathered and are just fine. Once they feather out they don't need heat. Ibhave also let them out of the coop broader and let them explore the coop, they are almost tempting to go into the run. Since they were in the coop the bigger ones done give them the time of day. Easy integration...

Back
Top Bottom