Outside?

jojorose8

Chirping
Apr 17, 2017
Chelsea, VT
I know there are a million threads on this, but none of them seem to answer my specific scenario. Can fully feathered 6 week old chicks be moved to the coop with overnight lows of 50 degrees without heat?

I know there are a million threads on this, but none of them seem to answer my specific scenario. Can fully feathered 6 week old chicks be moved to the coop with overnight lows of 50 degrees without heat?
Absolutely. My chicks are 5 weeks old and have been off heat for over a week. Last week was miserably cold and rainy, with temps in 50's during the day, and at least one night in high 30's.

Perfect. Are they unhappy about the cold? I have a Premier 1 hot plate and they don't seem to use it anymore, but the heat in my house is still set for 66 since it's been a cold spring. How do I slowly adjust them to the change from 66 degrees to 50 degrees?

Mine have been out since they were 5 weeks old, they are fully feathered and the lows have been in the 50s where I live. They LOVE it! At 4 weeks I was turning off the heat lamp during the day so they could start getting acclimated.
Hope this answers your question!

Set up the Premier in a space for them out in the coop, and they should be fine. Only thing to worry about would be if they got wet.

My current chicks are 4 weeks old now. I started them outside in the coop from day-one; we've had temps drop below freezing during this time.

What's important is that they have a chance to acclimate themselves to the cooler temperatures. That's why I suggest setting up the hot plate for them out there - otherwise I wouldn't bother. So check and see if they're using it the first day or so, and if not, remove it.

Last year I lost one at 4 weeks after it stood out in the rain rather than take shelter (live and learn - I figured they had shelter, they'd use it). Getting wet changes everything. Feathered out or not they have to be big enough to generate body heat to overcome that.

Thanks so much everyone! As much as I love these babies, I want them out of my house. Haha. The dust is unbelievable. I can predict midnight coop visits to make sure they are okay though.

Back
Top Bottom