Outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jojorose8, May 17, 2017.

1. jojorose8

jojorose8 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2017
    Chelsea, VT
    I know there are a million threads on this, but none of them seem to answer my specific scenario. Can fully feathered 6 week old chicks be moved to the coop with overnight lows of 50 degrees without heat?

2. KikisGirls

KikisGirls BYC Fan Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Yes.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Absolutely. My chicks are 5 weeks old and have been off heat for over a week. Last week was miserably cold and rainy, with temps in 50's during the day, and at least one night in high 30's.

ronikins, jojorose8 and mymilliefleur like this.
  4. jojorose8

Apr 17, 2017
    Chelsea, VT
    Perfect. Are they unhappy about the cold? I have a Premier 1 hot plate and they don't seem to use it anymore, but the heat in my house is still set for 66 since it's been a cold spring. How do I slowly adjust them to the change from 66 degrees to 50 degrees?

5. Eggstatic1727

Eggstatic1727 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2017
    Kansas City
    Mine have been out since they were 5 weeks old, they are fully feathered and the lows have been in the 50s where I live. They LOVE it! At 4 weeks I was turning off the heat lamp during the day so they could start getting acclimated.
    Hope this answers your question!

ronikins and jojorose8 like this.
  6. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2017
    Yes. my daytime temps don't even get above 50 most days yet. I do still give them heat at night if below freezing though.

7. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    IMO, yes. Ours were moved out at 3+weeks with nights in the upper 30s. They did fine.

ronikins likes this.
  8. HoodedHuntress

HoodedHuntress Chillin' With My Peeps

One hundred percent yes. Their main concerns are food, water, and company. The cold will not bother them, as they already have a good amount of feathers at 6 weeks.

9. WesleyBeal

WesleyBeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2016
    Douglas County, Minnesota
    Set up the Premier in a space for them out in the coop, and they should be fine. Only thing to worry about would be if they got wet.

My current chicks are 4 weeks old now. I started them outside in the coop from day-one; we've had temps drop below freezing during this time.

What's important is that they have a chance to acclimate themselves to the cooler temperatures. That's why I suggest setting up the hot plate for them out there - otherwise I wouldn't bother. So check and see if they're using it the first day or so, and if not, remove it.

Last year I lost one at 4 weeks after it stood out in the rain rather than take shelter (live and learn - I figured they had shelter, they'd use it). Getting wet changes everything. Feathered out or not they have to be big enough to generate body heat to overcome that.

10. jojorose8

Apr 17, 2017
    Chelsea, VT
    Thanks so much everyone! As much as I love these babies, I want them out of my house. Haha. The dust is unbelievable. I can predict midnight coop visits to make sure they are okay though.

Cindy in PA likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by