Over 24 hours since pip (photo)

DelilahC

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2023
1685971523614.png

The chick pipped yesterday morning sometime before 8 am when I looked in the incubator. Since then, no progress. I can see her beak through the hole she's made. I've been trying to be patient and let her take her time, but I'm concerned. I'm worried she's not positioned just right. Her pip is not more toward either end of the egg but almost in the middle. Should I help her out? She's still moving.

Attachments

• 1685971523411.png
    1685971523411.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
if its been 24 i probably would if its one of the last remaining eggs .. id start by chipping the shell away from the hole so i could get a gander at the inner membrane .. if theres any visible blood vessels id wait 6 hours and look again ...if it looks pretty clear id work more shell off on that end and slowly try to rip the inner membrane open away from the head .. any hint of blood stop and wait 6 more .. repeat until its open on the end and it will push itself out .. but to reiterate, i dont like to start a 'project' like that if theres alot of pips not hatched yet, opening the bator repeatedly causes more problems than it fixes ..

if its been 24 i probably would if its one of the last remaining eggs .. id start by chipping the shell away from the hole so i could get a gander at the inner membrane .. if theres any visible blood vessels id wait 6 hours and look again ...if it looks pretty clear id work more shell off on that end and slowly try to rip the inner membrane open away from the head .. any hint of blood stop and wait 6 more .. repeat until its open on the end and it will push itself out .. but to reiterate, i dont like to start a 'project' like that if theres alot of pips not hatched yet, opening the bator repeatedly causes more problems than it fixes ..
It's the last. The other chick hatched during the night between Saturday and Sunday. I woke up yesterday morning to a hatched silkie/turken and this little one pipped.
Just now, I chipped some of the egg away and the membrane looked dry but as I made progress its a little iffy, so I sat her back in there. She is vocal and moves her beak a lot. I don't want her to hatch before she's fully absorbed all her blood and yolk. This particular baby will be half silkie, half Americauna.

Back
Top Bottom