Over 72 hours in the mail

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CountryFried, Mar 8, 2019.

1. CountryFried

CountryFried Songster

Mar 6, 2010
    SE AL
    Called Ideal this afternoon and got the tracking number. They were shocked I didn’t have my babies. They were mailed Tuesday afternoon, supposed to have received them today. Well, at 1234pm, the last tracking shows they were leaving Montgomery, AL. I went to the local PO and she was baffled, said they don’t get trucks in the afternoon. Thinks they were scanned but maybe not loaded. I wanted to just drive to Montgomery and get them but she couldn’t get anyone on the phone to find out where exactly they are. Worst case, they’ve been sitting on a truck for 10 hours now. My greenhouse was 115 degrees today with the windows open . They will be at least 87 hours old if/when I get them tomorrow morning. I assume they are going to be incredibly stressed and I am going to try to give them water with electrolytes and probiotics as soon as I get them to the car. My feed is merrily bubbling away and smells “delicious.” TSC is out of the gro-gel stuff. I will have to see if Jeffers is open tomorrow and maybe I can go get some.

What would you have on hand? Hubby said he will be at TSC when they open if the babies are still alive if we need anything. (We are beyond frustrated. We expected we might not get them until Saturday if they were mailed Wednesday, but they were mailed Tuesday, so now we are worried and my son is scared we’re going to find dead babies when we open the box. Barely made it out of TSC without chicks or ducklings today because he was so upset they hadn’t come.)

Anyway, hoping for the best, of course, but expecting the worse given that they’ve been in transit for both a cold snap and a hot day, potentially in a sealed truck. Any advice on what to do with them tomorrow to help them over the stress of the trip would be greatly appreciated. I did read on Ideals site that ducklings can waterlog and to offer water for 15 minutes every hour and then remove. Beyond that, not sure what to do if they’re suffering stress from the trip.

penny1960, Raenh, Aunt Angus and 5 others like this.
  2. Texag87

Texag87 Songster

Sep 22, 2018
    Aggieland
    That must be stressful. You have the right game plan.

penny1960, Raenh, DuckyDonna and 3 others like this.
  3. LilyLoo

LilyLoo Songster

Sep 15, 2018
    Arizona
    Oh my gosh how horrible! Let's pray for the best, they are strong noisy little buggers maybe someone opened and is helping. Good thoughts to you and your family.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia ~Delight yourself in the Lord~

5. CountryFried

CountryFried Songster

Mar 6, 2010
    SE AL
    It’s 7am and still no call. Tracking says they left Montgomery at 1023pm last night. Had a Dream (nightmare) that the Mexico Beach post office called and said they were delivered there and were all dead. Had to check my phone when I woke up to see if the phone call was real. It’s been a long night

penny1960, happy duck, Raenh and 6 others like this.
  6. Miss Lydia

Poor things this is so heart breaking. Have you called again to see who else you can talk too?

7. CountryFried

CountryFried Songster

Mar 6, 2010
    SE AL
    Answering machine is picking up at the local PO right now. They don’t open until 9. If I don’t get a call before then, I will be there when they unlock the doors. I’m only about 7 minutes away when they do call. 55mph road between me and them, thankfully.

penny1960, Raenh, DuckyDonna and 4 others like this.
  8. Miss Lydia

I sure hope they are there and just a little road weary. Be sure to give them warm water to hydrate them.

9. CountryFried

CountryFried Songster

Mar 6, 2010
    SE AL
    Thank you! Warm water is good to know!

10. PaxtonSunny

PaxtonSunny In the Brooder

Jun 23, 2018
    I'd go to the post office now. When I ordered geese, I was there as soon as it showed they arrived, which was about 5:30 am and banged on the doors till someone answered. This is so awful. I hope they will be ok. Where did you order from?

penny1960, Raenh, DuckyDonna and 3 others like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: