over active duckling bothering sibling

Diveks

Songster
6 Years
Jul 14, 2017
Indonesia
hey everyone so a bit of background, i got these pekin chicks yesterday as 2/3 day olds. One of them is a tiny bit smaller and less active, still running around but sleeps much more. the other chick will run around the brooder tackling the smaller one as it is sleeping. the more active one will want to walk around while the other wants to nap but wouldn't want to be left behind so will keep following lethargicly. the only thing i can do in this situation to let the chick sleep is let it sleep in my hands. i work mostly on the computer and their brooder is right beside me so i can monitor them. i don't think they are imprinted on me since they will wander a bit around the room (not further than 2 meters) not sticking to me (or maybe the older one just loves exploring and is brave) but they will come back to me for comfort and will call me when i am far from the brooder when inside. and will prefer to sleep on me. i thought 3 day olds might be a bit too old to imprint.

what scares me is the more active one tries to jump the brooder to me sometimes. is this and the less active one normal duck behavior. ive not raised a lot of ducks so any help would be great.

anyone has any advice? i'm thinking the weaker duckling is a runt or is sick. but im not sure which i have never seen a sick duckling and dont know what it looks like. the duckling is still eating and drinking but sleeping a lot and more wobbly when preening itself sometimes needing me to hold him up. i have added some probiotics yesterday to help.

This can be a number of things. I don't have sources but I was told that 2 day olds will typically get much more energetic, so maybe the wild one is going through it's crazy time? How much sleep is the other one getting? Do you have heat available for them and a way to get away from the heat if they want to?

My little bantam ducklings were jumping up on top of their heat plate before a week old, so the trying to jump out sounds normal to me. What are you feeding them? Large breed ducks, like Pekins, typically need higher amounts of niacin for their legs. Nutritional yeast is something I like to add to their feed to help them get more niacin. It'd probably be a good idea to also get them a B complex vitamin supplement as well.

@Miss Lydia

This can be a number of things. I don't have sources but I was told that 2 day olds will typically get much more energetic, so maybe the wild one is going through it's crazy time? How much sleep is the other one getting? Do you have heat available for them and a way to get away from the heat if they want to?
at night they are able to sleep through the night but can't take naps. maybe 5 mins before being pushed against which usually wakes the other one again. they can get away from the heat.
My little bantam ducklings were jumping up on top of their heat plate before a week old, so the trying to jump out sounds normal to me. What are you feeding them? Large breed ducks, like Pekins, typically need higher amounts of niacin for their legs. Nutritional yeast is something I like to add to their feed to help them get more niacin. It'd probably be a good idea to also get them a B complex vitamin supplement as well.

@Miss Lydia
i am feeding them chick starter with brewers yeast. i do have some vitamin B here i will be giving them that.

Can you post a video of the weaker duckling so we can see if there is anything else going on?

Do you notice anything else odd about the weaker duckling? Head shaking?

Try feeding the weaker duckling some scrambled eggs. That can help them perk up sometimes and give them a boost.

I just wanted to share this link with you. I don't think it applies here, but it's full of helpful information.

Niacin Deficiency in Waterfowl
thank you very much! i will read up on it.
Can you post a video of the weaker duckling so we can see if there is anything else going on?

Do you notice anything else odd about the weaker duckling? Head shaking?

Try feeding the weaker duckling some scrambled eggs. That can help them perk up sometimes and give them a boost.
a sad update on the duckling, i was watching them they were all doing okay and i saw the weaker duckling eating normally when suddenly it collapsed in the bowl. it had seizures and was suddenly gone. it surprised me, im not sure what was wrong with it. it was okay this morning walking/running around the brooder. while it was a bit weak he didn't look sick like sick chicks i had in the past. No head shaking or anything, didn't look like he was in pain just slept a bit more. :(

although i was able to pick up 2 ducklings from a friend 15 mins away. they are active but always loud chirping if i just looked away from them or stop talking. i thought having 3 of them will make them less needy of my attention but they might require more attention then when i had 2 before. will they be okay if i just ignore them?

Back
Top Bottom