over heated chicken!! Please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sharon53, Jul 7, 2011.

1. sharon53

sharon53 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    One of our 16 week old Golde Polish hens is terribly over heated. She's limp as a dish rag. We've got her in the cool grass but don't know what else to do. Please help!

2. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    what i do is get her inside, put her in a tepid bath, helps her cool down, get some gatorade or electrolytes into her- keep us posted!

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:x2.
    You can use sugar water to get into her if you dont have gatorade or electrolytes.

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

JJ

Don't answer now - more important to work on her - but I'm wondering what temps she's been in.....

5. Monk422

Monk422 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2011
    Manteca, Ca
    We hit 104 the other day and filled a tub w/ water and put our girls in one at a time. Some hung out, some jumped right out, but all stopped panting and seemed more comfortable.

6. the209jungalist

the209jungalist Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    Stockton
    I feel for your babies I'm up in Stockton and my babies have had the same issues. I've been spraying down the inside of their coop so it acts a bit like a swamp cooler for them. One day I dunked my roo into a 5 gallon bucket and he didn't want out, he just floated and was happy!

7. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Hoping her baby is going to be okay. When it gets hot i spray down all the pens with cool water - soaking the dirt, squirting all around the pens, the roof, even up into the trees above. All the chickens start dust bathing in the wet cool dirt and it really seems to help cool them off. i've also heard of people putting shallow pans of cool water in the pens so the chickens can cool off their feet.

8. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Quote:Our chickens love having a pan of water in the coop to stand or sit in. We dump it and refill a couple times during the afternoon, and sometimes add ice to their pan and drinking water. The poor birds around here haven't had much of a change to acclimate to hot weather. It has been hot, cold, hot, cold. :eek:/

Hope your bird is okay. I've had to help a few animals out with lukewarm baths when it got hotter than we anticipated.

9. csummer8882

csummer8882 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    I take empty gallon jugs of milk and fill them with water and freeze them. Bring them out on a hot day and it helps keep the inside of the coop a little bit cooler. the girls lay next to it for a bit then head back outside. I know that doesnt help you now but maybe it can help you in the future! Good luck and hoping for the best! [​IMG]

10. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Quote:bring her inside, keep elecectrolytes and COLD (not ice cold but cold) water by her at ALL times . If the water is cold, she is more likely to drink it than warm water..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by