over-heated chickens?

chicklover16

queen of flirts
8 Years
Jun 3, 2011
Em's Dungeon
lately my chickens have been doing nothing but walking around with there mouths sagging open looking miserable, poor babies, I know there over heated but I don't know what to do to help them. any advice is appreciated, thanks

Some people fill soda bottles with water and freeze them so they can cool themselves. Simply wetting down the run so that they can rool around in the nice cool dirt is helpful. LOTS of shade and fresh water. In some areas a misting system can be helpful if you live in a dry climate.

also, put a couple gallons of ice in front of a fan, and it helps- have heard putting ice in a plastic trashcan, they can walk into the trashcan to cool off
file-124.jpg

let them have a mudpuddle, or a bin with ice water to cool their feet

I live in South Georgia and we've been having 100+ days. I freeze watermelon and other treats for them. I also fill their water container with ice in the afternoon when it's super hot. When my DH and I got married, we Honeymooned in Key West in August, and there were chickens everywhere. I take comfort thinking that if a chicken can survive Key West, it can survive anywhere.

I have a small puddle that is for my overflow when I turn on the water and turn it off...so it keeps about 3-5 inches of water and they love it...just to walk thru and cool their feet...

Keep their feet and legs cooled off. Mist them. Wet their run or give them a cool, damp place to lay/sit down. Put plenty of ice in their waterers. As long as they have shade and cool water they should be fine.

I flood the ground under one of my really large bushes every night. It seeps in and by morning it's just a nice cool place for my girls to scratch out nice cool holes to lounge in all day! It's been over 100 here for days now and seems to be working! They also love it when I make them some big water puddles to walk in and drink out of!

I picked up some misters from Lowes today, they came in 10' lengths, for $15, I put them up around all three of my coops. I may just put them on a timer to come on for 10 minutes every couple hours in the afternoon, for the days I'm not here. Tomorrow, I'll have to come home for lunch and turn them on for a bit.

Give them misters and fresh cold water AT LEAST once a day. If one gets heat stroke, put it in a small contained area inside your house with icepacks for the kiddo to lay on. Oh, and if your run isn't already shady, then go ahead and put a tarp over it to provide shade. You should also give them cool treats like milk, watermelon, cucumbers, and yogurt.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom