Silkie chickens cold hardy

Caitlin2535

In the Brooder
Jan 8, 2024
I have about 7 silkie chickens, four of which are broody and three which are missing feathers because of the rooster. The temperature is about to drop to 4 degrees here and they’re not getting body heat from other chickens because they’re broody in their own nesting boxes, will not stop and missing a ton of feather… should I supply these poor lady’s with a heating plate nearby? I wouldn’t worry about the rest as they’re fully feathered and in a snuggle puddle in a corner of the coop but I’m worried about the featherless ones alone in the nesting boxes. Any advice will be helpful!

Are the in a full sided coop? Do they have good bedding? Are they fully feather less?
Coop is pretty sound they’re each in there own box which is built into the side of the coop for easy egg removal and they have zero back feathers. The nesting boxes are straw filled and the coop itself is deep litter with shavings.

Coop is pretty sound they’re each in there own box which is built into the side of the coop for easy egg removal and they have zero back feathers. The nesting boxes are straw filled and the coop itself is deep litter with shavings.
My opinion is they should be fine but extra heat won't hurt .
I would add heat if there was no fire risk. Better safe than sorry but also not worth risking a fire.

If all that makes since?

My opinion is they should be fine but extra heat won't hurt .
I would add heat if there was no fire risk. Better safe than sorry but also not worth risking a fire.

If all that makes since?
I have the producer pride brooder/heater plate I could add but seen mixed things whether those are safe or not 😵‍💫

I hear heat plates are generally safer than heat lamps, so that can be an option if they're chilly and you're comfortable with it. You may also want to consider saddles. While not particularly insulating it may help with the bare spots, and also help prevent the rooster from plucking feathers in the first place. I know there's a few people here (can't recall who specifically) that make and sell them, and you can also find them on Amazon and Etsy.

I have the producer pride brooder/heater plate I could add but seen mixed things whether those are safe or not 😵‍💫
Well someone in my family passed leaving me in a bad spot , so I added A heat plate ( the producers pride) to now my quail pen cause they had wire everything other than the roof. They have hay and a heat plate , I know its risky but some have froze so its better than nothing.

If you want I will let you know how it goes its been fine today but who knows , I plan on turning it to heater instead of brooder in the morning?

Well someone in my family passed leaving me in a bad spot , so I added A heat plate ( the producers pride) to now my quail pen cause they had wire everything other than the roof. They have hay and a heat plate , I know its risky but some have froze so its better than nothing.

If you want I will let you know how it goes its been fine today but who knows , I plan on turning it to heater instead of brooder in the morning?
Seems far less risky than the heating lamp but ima till worried but also don’t want my fatherless broody girls to freeze, so yes please let know how it goes!

Its also gonna rain and snow here tomorrow so fire risk is less but the quail have tarps so hopefully their pen does not get wet
Same here and cold and I know silkies shouldn’t get wet or they will freeze so I’m hoping they stay in the covered part of the run or in the house 😵‍💫 and good luck with the quail, hopefully they’re stay warm!

Back
Top Bottom