Over-mated chicken?

foxy2320

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 15, 2012
Oregon
One of my black French copper marans seems to be my alpha roo's favorite...bare back, ruffled side feathers, but it also looks like one side of her face is white. The other side looks completely normal. She eats, drinks, runs, and otherwise socializes completely normally with the flock. It's just one side of her face looks pale, whitish feathers (or feather remnants), etc. She won't let me get close enough to get a good look. Anyone ever go through this before?

that would definitely help a lot
smile.png

Well I guess I'm going to stop worrying. She's laying, eating, drinking, free-ranging and acting normal. Thinking she might be low man on the totem pole.

She is getting her share of attention from her roo, he will bite at the feathers on her head and will pull them out or break them off. For her back you can use a saddle. I made some for my hen from some Camo polar fleece that if put in a jeep head liner... there is a pattern on here that you can look up basically it is a 8.5x8.5 square with a v notch on each end and two slits in it for the wings to go through. I will try to find it and post it.

Last edited:
I had thought about that too, but I've never seen my head roo get ahold of face feathers, occasionally neck feathers, but he's actually really gentle and doesn't mount unless they squat for him. I haven't had a chance to see my #2 roo in action, but he's much more awkward, so maybe she's the collateral damage of his "practice". She is the fastest one of all of them, so I'm not sure I could catch her to get a saddle on!

Back
Top Bottom