(((Over-Mating Rooster....)))

Be SURE that you never let him mount one of the hens when you are around!
smack.gif
If he does, you need to throw him of the hen and maybe even chase after him once he is off. It may sound harsh, but your rooster needs a reality check!

Look at this auction. I got some from her earlier for the same reason and they are good and sturdy.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=542668

A roosters gotta do what a roosters gotta do, so don't blame him for being male.
wink.png

I know it is sad to see them this way, but I think in the fall after they all moult they should grow in their nice feathers again. Next year when he starts feeling his oats, and he shouldn't be so rough by then I don't think, then get the saddles on early and you may spare them some of the feathers.

Last edited:
I use a Dremel tool to cut the spurs and trim the nails. Use the cutting disc that you would use to cut screws. It only takes seconds. I wrap him in a towel around the wings to help control him. No problems at all.

I don't try to remove all the spur or nails. All I try to do is cut the sharp end off and make them blunt. And I agree that the nails are probably causing the damage more than the spurs.

All my hens wear saddles as I have too many roosters. They have made an enormous difference to the backs of the hens.

When a hen goes broody I remove the saddle to give the hen a break. (They are not being mated then).

The ones with wing protectors work best for me.

Back
Top Bottom