Over my head

LaFleche is right...coccidia is everywhere and you can't sterilize the soil or anything else against it; you can only treat it as chickens grow up enough to develop resistance.

Does this vet. know that coccidia are naturally found in chicken poop and that only the appearance of large quantities will have to be treated?

Well that's good to know.. thank you. Are any of these medications acceptable for ducks as well?
Yes, ducks can be treated with sulfadimethoxine as well:

https://www.vetpharm.uzh.ch/wir/00000012/2112_04.htm

1625856125173.png

https://www.vet.cornell.edu/animal-health-diagnostic-center/programs/duck-research-lab/health-care

I have a year old hen with vent gleet, a year old hen with ongoing crop issues due to a unknown item in her crop that will not pass are breakdown, three cases of mild stage 2 bumble foot, and now the hen with vent gleet had a soft shell egg hanging from her vent

Vet just called with the results of the fecal. He says they have coccidiosis. I have no words right now... He is recommending Corid high dose for 5 days then low dose for 10 days. I know corid is the standard treatment, but I believe there is another medication that has proven more effective. Any idea what it is so I can ask him about it.

They said that there was a large amount of coccidia present. So I assume he knows.
Please post some photos of your hens, their poop, the vent with vent gleet, the bumble foot, etc.

If your vet found an overload of Coccidia and is recommending that you start Corid, then that's what I would do.
Go to TSC or the Vet's office and get the Corid and begin treating ASAP. You can do treatment while you are waiting on other products to be shipped in the mail. You want to get the Coccidia numbers under control, they do damage to the intestines, but of course that's up to you. Your vet may be able to source other meds for you quickly.
Do NOT give extra vitamins when using Corid.

Are you sure it's vent gleet or is your hen leaking urates due to soft shelled eggs? She had a membrane you had to remove...How are you treating the vent gleet?

Crop not emptying? How are you treating that?

Treat all water sources with Corid. If you have a duck pool that the chickens drink out of, I'm not sure what you are going to do with that...

1625857483813.png

Please post some photos of your hens, their poop, the vent with vent gleet, the bumble foot, etc.

If your vet found an overload of Coccidia and is recommending that you start Corid, then that's what I would do.
Go to TSC or the Vet's office and get the Corid and begin treating ASAP. You can do treatment while you are waiting on other products to be shipped in the mail. You want to get the Coccidia numbers under control, they do damage to the intestines, but of course that's up to you. Your vet may be able to source other meds for you quickly.
Do NOT give extra vitamins when using Corid.

Are you sure it's vent gleet or is your hen leaking urates due to soft shelled eggs? She had a membrane you had to remove...How are you treating the vent gleet?

Crop not emptying? How are you treating that?

Treat all water sources with Corid. If you have a duck pool that the chickens drink out of, I'm not sure what you are going to do with that...

View attachment 2753293
Vent gleet is being treated with monistat the dirty leaky stink butt started before the egg issue.. she was laying normal until yesterday. crop with nystatin, this hen has an ongoing crop issue as she has a foreign object in her crop that is too large to pass.. xrays confirm its not metal but not sure what it is. The vets in my area will not do surgery to remove it so when she starts getting full we just manipulate the item away from the crop drain then treat with nystatin. we will be starting corid asap and I will hold my girls vitamins for the duration and hope for the best. The duck pond is outside the run so no issue with that.

Back
Top Bottom