Over one week into integration..

More pics of set up. Anything I need to add to make this easier? Next year I will be moving the coop out of the enclosure and building one that will attach from outside the run, so they will have more room in the run. Well that is what I'm thinking anyway.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I have a few suggestions:
  • While you have two feeders, they are too close together. Put one around the corner so that while eating at one feeder, a bird cannot see the other feeder.
  • If I read this right, you are letting them be together and then separating them when it gets too bad.
  • You need to set up a safe zone where they can escape to, and venture out on their terms. A piece of plywood up on bricks will work. This will allow them to go out, and be with the flock, then when they get harassed they can take a time out. Smaller opening in the fence.
  • You have lots of levels which is good, but from the pictures, it does not appear to be any hiding spots, where a bird can get out of sight.
  • Or you might just wait another 2 months, they will be the same size.
  • If it doesn’t work then, you may have too many birds for your set up, no matter what the measurements of the set up are, some birds just do not fit in a flock.
  • You could try pulling a single bird out, see if the rest get along better.
So discouraging when all you want is for them to get along.

I have 4 feeders right now. The two together are meant for the bigger ones. There is a feeder in the coop run and in the coop.

I'm having a hard time envisioning anything that would allow them to get back in the coop run(which is their safe area) and not letting the bigger ones in. 2 out of the 4 smaller ones are the same size as the older girls. What can I do there?

How do I create safe hiding spots?

I could put up a higher dog gate as a divider in the yard but all of these birds(with the exception of the boy, will fly over it with ease. And if it rains, one set of birds will be screwed.

Yep I just looked at them and the two are really close to the same size, so any opening I create that is big enough for them will be big enough for one older girl for sure, possibly the other one, but not the boy.

From what I am seeing they are not that bright. After a week they are finally going high. I don't think they are smart enough to go back into the coop. I really don't.

I'm having a hard time envisioning anything that would allow them to get back in the coop run(which is their safe area) and not letting the bigger ones in. 2 out of the 4 smaller ones are the same size as the older girls. What can I do there?

If they are the same size you can't do anything to make that work.

Put something up off the ground they can get under, maybe something on cinder blocks or really anything raised. Put a vertical solid wall in the middle to break line of sight. Put a table or something high they can get above the others. Lean a piece of plywood against a wall or fence, but fix it so the wind can't blow it down. Try not to create traps where they can't get away if an older bird chases them. The main idea is to break line of sight.

I was thinking the same, a bit too late for that.

Lean a piece of plywood up against the wall open at both ends..or several piece in different places..... or something solid to form sight blockage.

Probably going to have to tough it out, as long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly. A week isn't very long and the ages are close enough that it's a bit tougher to integrate due to immaturity of the olders. The cockerel could really be a problem as he's at 'that age', might try taking him out and isolating just to see the effect on the rest of the birds. Do you plan on keeping him long term?

Yes I am keeping him. He is a good boy--most of the time. I just tried the opening and of course that didn't work. I can try the wood propped up so they can go behind it and out the other way. I have done this with the sandbox cover.

They are finally learning to go high when they see them coming. That makes me feel better because the older ones don't go after them at that point, they leave them alone. They don't think, they just run and get themselves cornered all the time.

I might just let them out with the girls and work through that first. I don't know how to make them feel safer or smarter.

They are finally learning to go high when they see them coming. That makes me feel better because the older ones don't go after them at that point, they leave them alone. They don't think, they just run and get themselves cornered all the time.
That is good. RR mentioned that in his post.
Some folks successfully put feed and water up on a table or something.

Back
Top Bottom