Over one week into integration..

Pics

llombardo

Crowing
Mar 11, 2018
Illinois
and it's really no better. This older ones are just awful. The smaller ones are learning to go high but not fast enough and then they end up not moving at all. The two older girls and boy ganged up on two of them at seperate times. The cries are pitiful and I'm getting very frustrated. I have spent many hours the last week observing. I'm getting nothing else done.

The odd thing? They all sleep in the coop next to each other at night. Once they come out its a free for all every single day...

I don't know what else to do here. The brahmas are a good size now but still skiddish. The only one that is being smart is the golden lace and she is fast, thankfully.

More pics of set up. Anything I need to add to make this easier? Next year I will be moving the coop out of the enclosure and building one that will attach from outside the run, so they will have more room in the run. Well that is what I'm thinking anyway.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Coop drama! Change is hard, and so is integration, sometimes. Extra space is key here, and having separate areas, so birds can get away from each other. And time, to work things out.
Is anyone being injured? Do you have a really bad bully out there? Are they free ranging during the day?
What food? Mine is Flock Raiser, 20% protein, and it helps too.
Do you have multiple food and water stations, far apart? The less competition for resources, the better.
This will likely all work out...
Mary

I have a few suggestions:
  • While you have two feeders, they are too close together. Put one around the corner so that while eating at one feeder, a bird cannot see the other feeder.
  • If I read this right, you are letting them be together and then separating them when it gets too bad.
  • You need to set up a safe zone where they can escape to, and venture out on their terms. A piece of plywood up on bricks will work. This will allow them to go out, and be with the flock, then when they get harassed they can take a time out. Smaller opening in the fence.
  • You have lots of levels which is good, but from the pictures, it does not appear to be any hiding spots, where a bird can get out of sight.
  • Or you might just wait another 2 months, they will be the same size.
  • If it doesn’t work then, you may have too many birds for your set up, no matter what the measurements of the set up are, some birds just do not fit in a flock.
  • You could try pulling a single bird out, see if the rest get along better.
So discouraging when all you want is for them to get along.

The day is almost over. I came out a couple times to find them feet within each other. Quite a bit less running for dear life--now they just get out of dodge. Tomorrow I will let the two older ones out a couple hours earlier then today. Same with the boy. There was one close chase but she used all the hiding spots and the reality is the boy can't or doesn't try to run as fast as them. I felt like a cheerleader rallying her, she made it to a high spot without physical conflict. I literally clapped and was yelling good girl. Pretty sure my neighbors think I lost my mind.

I know I've read some of your other threads but can't remember all the details. Giving those ages above helps some, thanks. A 15' x 15' run just isn't that big. I don't care if it meet or surpasses that magic 10 square feet per chicken in the run number you often see here, there is not enough room for them to avoid the two older hens enough when they hit the ground. Let me guess, when you go into the coop in the morning to let them out, the older ones are on the coop floor and the younger ones are on the roosts, avoiding the older. That's typical with mine when I'm integrating younger chicks.

You said the problem occurs when the chicks come down to the ground in the run. Things are fine when they are up out of reach. I'm a little surprised the chicks are in the run when the older ones are out there. It's not that unusual for mine to stay in the coop when the older ones are outside and I've got a lot more room than you.

When chickens have conflict the weaker usually runs away and things normally get peaceful though there may be a bit of chasing. They have decided who is the boss. If one cannot get away the winner does not realize they won and may keep attacking. If one gets trapped in a corner or against a fence and can't get away, they usually hunker down and try to protect heir head. The attacker often goes after the head, that's where they can do a lot of damage. When this happens it is a dangerous situation, chickens can die.

It sounds like you have two older pullets that are brutes since they seem to go out of their way to attack the younger. That happens but there is some bad luck in that. Them still being pullets themselves may contribute some to that. I don't think my hens would go that much out of their way to attack them in the conditions you describe.

Is one of your feeding and watering stations inside the coop? That might let them eat and drink without being attacked. They may spend all day in the coop if you do this.

You can try putting some type of platform up high with food and water. That way they can eat and drink without getting to ground level where they will be attacked.

Other than adding more room or keeping them separated until they all mature some more I can't come up with anything else.

I wish you luck.

Back
Top Bottom