Over one week into integration..

I think part of the problem here is that I did not raise these two groups the same way. I was much more hands on with the first group. The second group never took much to the hands on. I think I'm seeing the result of that. I gave the first group the confidence they have today and I failed with the small ones. They won't even come for treats. Never had that with the older ones. So I guess I start now, spending time and making this right.

Now I got a bird somewhere in the run. I have no clue how it got in. Just checked all of the netting. I have no clue where it went and I don't want it to get eaten. In all the excitement, the smaller ones are now checking everything out. I'm sure the comedy they just saw of me chasing a bird lightened the mood.

Now I got a bird somewhere in the run. I have no clue how it got in. Just checked all of the netting. I have no clue where it went and I don't want it to get eaten. In all the excitement, the smaller ones are now checking everything out. I'm sure the comedy they just saw of me chasing a bird lightened the mood.
That's good!
Maybe the bird got back out?

That's good!
Maybe the bird got back out?

I saw it go one way and haven't saw it since, which means I have a opening big enough for a bird somewhere. In my search I smelled skunk on the other end of the run which means it's on the other side of the fence. Now I got to check all the stone to make sure its not digging anywhere.

On another note. I let the barred rock out with the smaller ones on her own for about a half hour. Then I let the other girl out. The small ones ran once but that was just because they saw the bigger ones--the bigger ones did not go for them. Right now they are all in one corner. Small ones high looking down at the older girls. The older girls can easily jump up there but they are busy scratching because they haven't bern able to all day.

On another note. I let the barred rock out with the smaller ones on her own for about a half hour. Then I let the other girl out. The small ones ran once but that was just because they saw the bigger ones--the bigger ones did not go for them. Right now they are all in one corner. Small ones high looking down at the older girls. The older girls can easily jump up there but they are busy scratching because they haven't bern able to all day.
There ya go! That's what you want to see.

So last night I put the smaller ones in for the night first. A little squabbling as everyone found their place.

This morning I let the big ones into the coop enclosure and let the smaller ones come out into the run on their own. I will leave them by themselves for half the day and slowly add the others one by one. This will be my process for a few days.

I just gave them watermelon and blueberries. The smaller ones showed signs of interest and came closer, at least acknowledging I had food. That is one of my goals in these next couple days. I have resorted to using food as bribery...

Back
Top Bottom