Over preening?!?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MrsD, Mar 20, 2017.

1. MrsD

MrsD New Egg

Feb 19, 2017
    In my little flock of 16, I have about 4 that are over-preening. I watch closely and don't see them peck one another but these 4 have bald, red, but not bloody spots on their back (right above the tail). I have seen a couple actually peck that spot on their own backs. They eat 22% protein for egg production (I had read low protein could cause the pecking). I tried the purple no-peck stuff from the store but they turn right around and do it again...[​IMG]

Also I have two feather footed girls that seem to open their mouths a lot. Almost as if panting, but it's not hot. Not sure why...

Thanks for all the advice & tips!!

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi [​IMG] Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos of the feather loss and possibly a video of their actions?
    Do you have any roosters?
    How old are they?
    Have you check for lice/mites?

Check them over for lice/mites, if you find any treat them with a poultry dust or spray. Do you see them take dust baths?

Are they pecking at their Uropygial Gland (oil gland/preening gland) - is it swollen, red or irriated?

Not sure about the opening the mouth-when do you see this - when they have been eating/drinking, are they adjusting their crops, are they panting holding their wings out to the sides, etc.?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by