Overagressive mating rooster, where do you draw that line?

When I was marching up to the hen house to "do the deed" with my rooster, the scene from Old Yeller was playing in my head, "He's my dog Ma. I'll do it!". Has your son seen Old Yeller?? If not, perhaps it is time. Good luck.
Well said Hummingbird,
But I can't even watch that movie because I had to read the book in school and know how it ends!

My first roo was an EE as well and he started doing the same thing around the same age. I got rid of him. My chickens are for my family to manage and take care of together and we couldn't do that with him in there. Now I have Bellabob and he has been super cool with us as well as the hens so far. If the girls don't want his attention he will leave them alone and he follows me everywhere waiting for a handout, lol. Hopefully he will remain a cool dude. :)

yes i had a roo that was mean and it nipped at my finger all the time so we gave it back to it's breeder to take care of thre rest
old.gif

I think the line has been drawn and crossed. I had to butcher my roo because he was tearing up my hens. I thought fourteen hens would be enough to take some of the pressure off. Wrong! He also would try to flog me when he could sneak up on me. I wanted to keep him because he was a pretty Buff Orphington roo and would make nice chicks with my BO hens. Enough was enough. You can always get a new roo chick cheep and he will start off at the bottom of the pecking order for a while. Maybe you'll have a more temperate rooster the next time around. My daughter wasn't too keen when we butchered our rooster but she knew they were food and would or could be killed. Just have to rationalize to him that he's hurting the girls. Luck.

yes i can tottaly understand that we killed ours last month and he was only a month old and he bit my finger and sliced it with his beek so now i have stitches and it did not feel so pleasent so i kind of let him settle down but this time he peeked mt friend who wanted to buy him so after that he went in the frier and was done because we couldn't take the pressure and the worries anymore it was just to much and now we have a new chick roo who is very nice and cuddles up in my hands when i pick it up to let my friend see it and after that little incadent everything has been fine! My friend so weird decides to put her mean rooster in with my rabbits and for some reason in her straight mind it kills one of my first place pedigree rabbits and boy was i mad i screamed but after that my rabbitry has been doing well.

Edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok that's what I was afraid of. He's been around a long time, so it's going to be tough. I'd rather have a roo that won't be trying to protect the flock from us though.

I've been through something similar. There are plenty of good roosters. I'm very happy with the one I have now. He is great at looking after the girls and he's a sweetie with me. I pick him up all the time and even bring him in the house and sit him in my lap lol.

Chances are your roo isn't going to get any better.

If you feel bad about eating him you can always put him on craigslist.

Good luck
thumbsup.gif

We are going through a similar problem at our house - one mean rooster and 2 really soft-hearted kids. We are trying a little "rehabilitation" first and yesterday when my daughter caught him and held his head down, two of the hens ran up and pecked him on the head! Now I know how they feel about him too!! My daughter, 13, finally agreed that he's got to go - but then insisted that it needs to be to someone that won't eat him. WRONG! I'm guessing he's on his way to a stew pot pretty fast!

" Just have to rationalize to him that he's hurting the girls. " You can't rationalize with a rooster ! lol

"My friend so weird decides to put her mean rooster in with my rabbits and for some reason in her straight mind it kills one of my first place pedigree rabbits and boy was i mad i screamed but after that my rabbitry has been doing well. " um.. what?

"If you feel bad about eating him you can always put him on craigslist." My nice rooster has been on CL for 6 months now, not even meat takers but you can try . It's a lot tougher(on you) to get rid of a nice rooster.

Go to your local feed store and ask if they know anyone that collects roosters, locally there is a roster pick up. Saves having to do it your self if you can't but someone else gets to eat him.

I like the idea of getting a young rooster in so the hens can tell him what's what. Mine grew up with his sisters and any time he got cocky they got hen pecky , he's a doll to his ladies today and gets totally ****** when his boy chases them down , he'd kick hits ever livin chicken butt if his legs weren't so short.

It's an important lesson your kids will learn, where meat comes from what it takes to have it what responsibility we have to the animals we care for and the domestication process. Lots of good stuff.

Or you can always lie and say it went to a big farm in the country

Back
Top Bottom