overdue egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JCoogle, Dec 31, 2009.

1. JCoogle

JCoogle Chillin' With My Peeps

I had an egg that was on day 24 of lockdown. I decided to candle it to see if there was any movement. There wasn't so I decided to open it up to see what was wrong. When I opened it the chick was fully formed and the yoke was asorbed, but there was no skull cap and the brain was out of the chick. Is there a reason that this would have happened besides mother nature?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  2. rocketdog312

rocketdog312 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2009
    Phoenix, Arizona
    birth defect most likely. Its probably just a fluke but incorrect temp/humidity/rotations per day can affect these kinds of things.

3. JCoogle

Well I have a few more that are due over the next few days. I guess that will be the test on my homemade incubator.

4. mtnkids

mtnkids Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2009
    Southeast Iowa
    Was it a silkie by chance? I was just reading a post on here the other day about someone having the same thing happen with a silkie baby, and they were thinking it was possibly linked to the crest or something of that sort. You might want to search for that?

Editing to add link of that thread.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=279624

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  5. JCoogle

Yes it was a silkie. I have another pipping right now.

6. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

I think that there is a higher incidence of cranial birth defects in breeds with crests/vaulted like Silkies, polish, etc.

7. JCoogle

I hope that is the last time I see this. It was heartbreaking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by