OverEz large coop have enough space on roosting bars?

This coop says it’s for 15 birds which now that I assembled it I don’t believe it. Unless it’s the dead of winter my birds are going to be outside anyway so hopefully the 12 on their way will be fine. I am concerned about the roosting bars though and even with some adjustments I can only get 8 inches between the bars and also just 8 inches from the back wall.
I'm late to the thread, but wanted to add my experience in case it's any help. I have a large OverEZ coop too, and I arranged my roosting bars very much like you did. I had 10 large fowl (including Brahma) chickens in there all (Maine) winter long, though they did have access to a covered 8x16 run every single day. There were no issues with roosting space - they just cuddled in, all on the top bar!
I did modify the coop to add vents for airflow along the front above the windows and on the sides, plus a line of small holes at the very top of the back wall. Despite our -15 F temperatures I had no frostbite issues.
On the floor I used pine shavings in a deep bedding system. I would pick out the big clumps of poo with a pitchfork every few weeks (more often once the ducks decided they would also sleep in the coop instead of in their nice duck house). I probably added three or four bags of shavings over the course of six months.

Overall I was really happy with our OverEZ, but have recently upgraded to a full on chicken barn (custom 10x14 shed) because I've admitted to myself that I have a chicken and duck math problem. Now that I'm up to 12 chickens and 6 ducks the OverEZ was a little tight! We're still keeping it around in case I ever want to separate a breeding flock, or need quarantine space, or go off in a bantam direction, or whatever....

View attachment 3052071
This coop says it’s for 15 birds which now that I assembled it I don’t believe it. Unless it’s the dead of winter my birds are going to be outside anyway so hopefully the 12 on their way will be fine. I am concerned about the roosting bars though and even with some adjustments I can only get 8 inches between the bars and also just 8 inches from the back wall. This just doesn’t seem like enough space for them not to poop on each other. It’s been several years since I had a coop and we built our own last time so they had plenty of space on the roost. This brand coop kit is popular so I’m assuming the spacing is OK? Trying to decide if I need to rehome a couple of the 12 chicks I’m supposed to pick up on Friday due to this.
Okay so I know I am a bit late to this posting, but I am still going to give you my two cents. I have the same coop and I do love it, but there are quite a lot of issues with it. First off the roost bars do not fit chickens on the top and Botton bars. Once the chickens get to full size, like mine are they will literally be touching. This is the first year I got this coop and I only have 4 adult birds and they fit in it perfectly. The other big problem is ventilation. The windows are nice, but put hard wire cloth on them as well as it is only a cheap screen. Next The one hole on each side is by far to little ventilation. I bought a 4 inch hole saw and cut two more holes on each side to give more venation at the top as heat rises. I also removed their cap from over the top and used hard wire cloth. Personally I think this coop will probably be too small for 12 chickens, especially once they are full grown. If they are over crowded in the summer they will get over heated very easily. With only four hens in here there is so much room for them to roost and spread out. I kept only the bottom roost bar and removed the top one as they were to close for my liking and when one hen was on the top and one on the bottom they are literally touching. I see you also turned the roost to make them 4 inches instead of 2 inches, which is good because my chickens hate the tiny roosts and they tended to be less balanced on it.

We just bought the large size about a month ago. It’s pretty big in my opinion. Unfortunately we can’t have 15 chickens, but I would say at least 10 would be very comfortable in it. I almost think I should’ve got the size smaller for what I’m going for.

Back
Top Bottom