OverEz large coop have enough space on roosting bars?

Magnolia76

Chirping
Mar 21, 2022
South Dakota
66AB7627-9ACF-4B15-A6DE-7ED8456063BB.jpeg

This coop says it’s for 15 birds which now that I assembled it I don’t believe it. Unless it’s the dead of winter my birds are going to be outside anyway so hopefully the 12 on their way will be fine. I am concerned about the roosting bars though and even with some adjustments I can only get 8 inches between the bars and also just 8 inches from the back wall. This just doesn’t seem like enough space for them not to poop on each other. It’s been several years since I had a coop and we built our own last time so they had plenty of space on the roost. This brand coop kit is popular so I’m assuming the spacing is OK? Trying to decide if I need to rehome a couple of the 12 chicks I’m supposed to pick up on Friday due to this.

The coop is 60x75 but that’s counting the nesting boxes. The bars are about 65” long when I quickly measured. They are spaced only 8” from wall and 8” apart.

Attachments

• C9F479DF-1FCC-40E4-BB9E-0AE97B92A145.jpeg
    C9F479DF-1FCC-40E4-BB9E-0AE97B92A145.jpeg
    638 KB · Views: 23
  • ECA78582-55E5-4DDF-B70A-76450CB7CAD0.jpeg
    ECA78582-55E5-4DDF-B70A-76450CB7CAD0.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
The coop is 60x75 but that’s counting the nesting boxes. The bars are about 65” long when I quickly measured. They are spaced only 8” from wall and 8” apart.
That coop is approximately 34 sq ft, so considering minimum space requirements of 2sq ft. per bird, should be large enough for 15 hens. About 10 ft of bar space, so a bit tight for 15 birds.
If you are planning on getting more chickens in the future, than you will need a larger coop. For your 12 currently, this setup should be fine. :)

Edited to fix my math on roost space.

Last edited:
That coop is approximately 34 sq ft, so considering minimum space requirements, should be large enough for 15 hens. About 30 ft of bar space, so plenty for 15 chickens. Each bird needs a minimum of 1ft of roost space.
If you are planning on getting more chickens in the future, than you will need a larger coop. For your 12 currently, this setup should be fine. :)
I don’t want more chickens because I want them to have more room than this even so I’m already kicking myself but my question is are they going to be too close together on the roost like are they going to poop on each other or harass each other since everything I read said I need at least 12 inches of space from bar to bar. They are going to have enough room from side to side but what about the top bar being too close to the wall and too close to the other bar The 2 x 3 is only 8 inches from the back wall and 8 inches from the other 2 x 3. I tried to space it a little bit better but what do you think about this

Attachments

• 60A666C1-3ABB-46B9-A397-7AAE28AADF22.jpeg
    60A666C1-3ABB-46B9-A397-7AAE28AADF22.jpeg
    638 KB · Views: 26
I don’t want more chickens because I want them to have more room than this even so I’m already kicking myself but my question is are they going to be too close together on the roost like are they going to poop on each other or harass each other since everything I read said I need at least 12 inches of space from bar to bar. They are going to have enough room from side to side but what about the top bar being too close to the wall and too close to the other bar The 2 x 3 is only 8 inches from the back wall and 8 inches from the other 2 x 3. I tried to space it a little bit better but what do you think about this
I can see that being a concern. Is there a way to better space the bars? Possibly move the lower bar to the other side of the 2x4 it is against? I'd also encourage you to try and add more roost space. One bar has about 5.5 ft of space. I re did my math, and both bars together would only have 11 ft of space, which is tight for 15 birds. Did you have 12 or 15?
If its only 12 you could probably make it work.
Unfortunately, this is a common issue with prefabs, space.

I can see that being a concern. Is there a way to better space the bars? Possibly move the lower bar to the other side of the 2x4 it is against? I'd also encourage you to try and add more roost space. One bar has about 5.5 ft of space. I re did my math, and both bars together would only have 11 ft of space, which is tight for 15 birds. Did you have 12 or 15?
If its only 12 you could probably make it work.
Unfortunately, this is a common issue with prefabs, space.
I’m getting 12 birds. I had thought about moving the bars and putting one on the other side of the door over along the wall with the nesting boxes. I didn’t know if this would be a bad idea or not because now they’re floor space would be under the bars and they would be walking in their poop. I was also going to put extra venting on the side opposite the roosting bars up high. I live in South Dakota and it can get -20 and I’m not gonna have a supplemental heat so I Figured they would be better along a wall not directly next to vents. In your opinion what would be the best arrangement for the two 2x3s. I had planned on just replacing all of the pine shavings every 2 to 4 weeks. Can they really roost above where they are walking around and stuffing all on the poo? That’s the only other option I can think of is to move one of the roosting bars to the other side of the door

Attachments

• 8086A54C-7D96-4B05-B609-17A415242468.jpeg
    8086A54C-7D96-4B05-B609-17A415242468.jpeg
    482.3 KB · Views: 29
I’m getting 12 birds. I had thought about moving the bars and putting one on the other side of the door over along the wall with the nesting boxes. I didn’t know if this would be a bad idea or not because now they’re floor space would be under the bars and they would be walking in their poop.
This idea could work actually, though you would have to put in a bit extra time. You could use the sandbox method for poop catchment. Nail some boards together in the proper dimensions to sit under the roost bar that would be placed just above the nest boxes. Maybe about 2ft wide, and as long as the coop. Then fill it with sand. Each morning you will have to come scoop the poop off the top of the sand, but it will keep things clean and give the birds more space.
You might want to do the same for the other perch as well for ease of cleaning. I bet that could work.

I agree with adding more ventilation. You should have at least one ft of ventilation per bird, so adding some more holes on the far wall above the roots is a good idea.

This idea could work actually, though you would have to put in a bit extra time. You could use the sandbox method for poop catchment. Nail some boards together in the proper dimensions to sit under the roost bar that would be placed just above the nest boxes. Maybe about 2ft wide, and as long as the coop. Then fill it with sand. Each morning you will have to come scoop the poop off the top of the sand, but it will keep things clean and give the birds more space.
You might want to do the same for the other perch as well for ease of cleaning. I bet that could work.

I agree with adding more ventilation. You should have at least one ft of ventilation per bird, so adding some more holes on the far wall above the roots is a good idea.
Darn. I really was not wanting sand and when it’s super cold I didn’t want to be out there scooping the litter. I like the idea of just cleaning everything out every couple weeks all at once. So basically my fear is correct if I spread the bars out I’m gonna need to clean under them daily. Shoot.

Back
Top Bottom