Overgrown nails

It_is_I_Rae

Songster
Oct 30, 2019
A couple of my Buff Orpingtons specifically have the tendency to get overgrown twisty toenails. The other birds generally don't get this problem. Not even all of my buffs have this problem. Mostly just the two. Anyway, there's only so much you can cut off at once without hitting a vein and i will forget to do gradual maintenance trimming until it's a good length.

Is it a bad idea to just go ahead and chop the offending nails to the length they should be, quick and all, on purpose? (One nail at a time so they wouldn't lose too much blood) I'd hate to make them bleed but I also hate for them to have overgrown nails because that's probably pretty uncomfortable for them. I know they'd probably be fine as another one of my hens once broke off an entire nail once and was fine but I don't want to cause unnecessary pain.

Last edited:
Is it a bad idea to just go ahead and chop the offending nails to the length they should be, quick and all, on purpose? (One nail at a time so they wouldn't lose too much blood)

If you're only going to do one nail at a time, you will have to do another one on another day-- so you could trim the ends of all the nails one day, then again another day, until you get them down to the right length.

I'm pretty sure that cutting into the quick (part that bleeds) will cause pain to the chickens, so it would be nicer if you can avoid that.

Anyway, there's only so much you can cut off at once without hitting a vein and i will forget to do gradual maintenance trimming until it's a good length.

Maybe you could put a note on your calendar to remind you to go trim again in a few days. (Or whatever method you use to keep track of things that need to happen, like medical appointments or meetings.)

Back
Top Bottom