Silkie toenail crisis

Nov 5, 2019
So I have 5 silkies ~2yrs old. All very sweet, and healthy.
The one problem?
Their TOENAILS
They grow so long and so fast. I cut them today and some nails were nearly an inch long and corkscrewing in on themselves. I don't understand it. They have a covered run to scratch in, so that should wear down the nails.

The other day one of my silkies lost half a toe after getting it caught in the hardware cloth. It was pretty gruesome, but it's all fixed up now.

My question: Is this toenail growth normal? I haven't had this issue with other breeds.

Also, does anyone have a way to cut nails easily without catching the quick? I currently wrap the wings in a towel and use dog nail clippers. If I catch a quick (which generally happens at least once per time I cut the nails), I press a cloth to it until it stops bleeding and then Blu-Kote it.

Wondering if anyone else has this problem...Any advice appreciated!

Don't cut soo short to get close to the quick. In order for the toe nails to wear down scratching,,, the medium (ground) needs to be somewhat abrasive. If the ground is soft, with much organic matter,,, not much natural wear occurs. My chickens do have access to cement driveway, and sidewalks. Most of them control their nail growth naturally. Nevertheless my Japanese bantam still grew oversize nails. I use miniature wire cutters to clip her nails. I do it in multiple snips. Never got the quick. :old :thumbsup
Just make a visual note for self where the quick end is. Then clip nails more often.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

The one problem?
Their TOENAILS
They grow so long and so fast. I cut them today and some nails were nearly an inch long and corkscrewing in on themselves. I don't understand it. They have a covered run to scratch in, so that should wear down the nails.

The other day one of my silkies lost half a toe after getting it caught in the hardware cloth. It was pretty gruesome, but it's all fixed up now.

My question: Is this toenail growth normal? I haven't had this issue with other breeds.

Also, does anyone have a way to cut nails easily without catching the quick? I currently wrap the wings in a towel and use dog nail clippers. If I catch a quick (which generally happens at least once per time I cut the nails), I press a cloth to it until it stops bleeding and then Blu-Kote it.

Just wanna mention, a great thing to have on hand is Kwik-stop for parrots/birds. It's non toxic and it stops the bleeding immediately. Just dab a tiny bit on the cut nail and wait a few seconds! 😁

It also helps if you take a bright flashlight and shine it behind the nail as you clip. Then you can see the quick (the red line inside) and stop before you cut it.

The one problem?
Their TOENAILS

I didn’t realize you could clip their toenails. I have silkies and I have this one Russian chicken, who‘s nails are too long They grow to the right or left. I will be clipping toenails soon.

Thanks! I will definitely try Kwik stop. Do you think that adding a couple cement pavers to the run would do it?

My problem is always with the same one chicken as the quick is not easily visible on her, for whatever reason, but I will try the flashlight too.

Pavers would help. I have them in a couple of spots, and at the door between the inside run and outside run so they have to walk on them when they go in and out. I also have concrete blocks stacked 2 blocks high in places, like steps, that they climb on and roost on periodically throughout the day. Just make sure they are stable if you do that. I still have a couple of birds that need trims once in a while.

Back
Top Bottom