Overhead Netting

The only issue I've ever had with mine was an ice storm. The ice was as thick as a man's finger over every last strand, and mine did sag badly, mostly because the weight at the stress points over my posts broke through, lowering EVERYTHING. It was so heavy I couldn't even stand up underneath it, trying to use my back and legs to push it up while wearing ice cleats on my shoes. So- I don't hold that against the product. If I can't lift it with the ice attached and it survives mostly intact- I have nothing to complain about.

The picture doesn't do the ice justice, but it gives some idea anyways.

Iced over 2.jpg

However- except where big branches fell (from the prolonged ice storm) and at the top of my posts where the material did break - but keep in mind it was SO HEAVY - ridiculously heavy.

Snow is easy, just knock it off. Days long ice storms are a different story because unlike snow- if you've ever melted it, it's what- only produces about 1/10 the water or so?? -- ice is much heavier. Even with the ice storm - with some paracord after the ice storm, I was able to stitch everything back together without having to replace anything.

Can anyone give me an idea how it does in the snow? With that big a mesh I would assume it just goes through but that's what I assumed about the netting I was using and I was very mistaken.

The only issue I've ever had with mine was an ice storm. The ice was as thick as a man's finger over every last strand, and mine did sag badly, mostly because the weight at the stress points over my posts broke through, lowering EVERYTHING. It was so heavy I couldn't even stand up underneath it, trying to use my back and legs to push it up while wearing ice cleats on my shoes. So- I don't hold that against the product. If I can't lift it with the ice attached and it survives mostly intact- I have nothing to complain about.

View attachment 2852875

However- except where big branches fell (from the prolonged ice storm) and at the top of my posts where the material did break - but keep in mind it was SO HEAVY - ridiculously heavy.

Snow is easy, just knock it off. Days long ice storms are a different story because unlike snow- if you've ever melted it, it's what- only produces about 1/10 the water or so?? -- ice is much heavier. Even with the ice storm - with some paracord after the ice storm, I was able to stitch everything back together without having to replace anything.
Yes should have brought up heavy ice storms along with heavy wet snow. That is y I have my posts removable or at least able to put them on a angle to let the net be able to drop to the ground taking pressure off netting as to not damage anything or break through the netting. It only touches ground in a few places just enough to take most of pressure off netting so no trouble for birds in pen plenty of space for them. That has worked for the 6 years and 4 or 5 times it has happened since I had the netting. I also have PVC end caps over top of poles for smooth less abrasive contact with netting with plastic coated cable stretched across top of a few of the poles attached to 4x4s from fence posts for fencing to even out stress on netting so its not just in one spot at top of pole. Hope this makes sense. You can look back at my pics to help understand what I'm trying to explain.

View attachment 2852875

Yes should have brought up heavy ice storms along with heavy wet snow. That is y I have my posts removable or at least able to put them on a angle to let the net be able to drop to the ground taking pressure off netting as to not damage anything or break through the netting. It only touches ground in a few places just enough to take most of pressure off netting so no trouble for birds in pen plenty of space for them. That has worked for the 6 years and 4 or 5 times it has happened since I had the netting. I also have PVC end caps over top of poles for smooth less abrasive contact with netting with plastic coated cable stretched across top of a few of the poles attached to 4x4s from fence posts for fencing to even out stress on netting so its not just in one spot at top of pole. Hope this makes sense. You can look back at my pics to help understand what I'm trying to explain.

Happily snow and ice are rare for us, especially prolonged ice storms. The netting did fine for the first 2 days of the storm but when nothing melted and it just kept coming, that was that. This was an epic storm. We were without grid power for almost 9 full days.

Now the tops of the posts don't have the netting sitting right over the top. When I fixed them, I weaved the paracord in a circle - then tied it AROUND the pole top so it will just slide down some if this weather pattern batters us again. There are a bunch of bushes that we trimmed back when we installed the run fencing and did the netting - which have now grown up and through the netting - so they hold the netting up too.

Can anyone give me an idea how it does in the snow? With that big a mesh I would assume it just goes through but that's what I assumed about the netting I was using and I was very mistaken.

We use 1" and 2" bird net and deer net to cover our entire extended chicken yard , about 40x50. No problem with snow. The bird nets hold up better than deer net in snow. You can easily shake off the snow. Even with worst ice storm, they all hold up.

Here are some photos taken earlier this year, after the worst ice storm we've had in two years since we have chickens!

Attachments

• IMG_icestorm3.jpg
    IMG_icestorm3.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_icestorm2.jpg
    IMG_icestorm2.jpg
    901.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_icestorm1.jpg
    IMG_icestorm1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
We use 1" and 2" bird net and deer net to cover our entire extended chicken yard , about 40x50. No problem with snow. The bird nets hold up better than deer net in snow. You can easily shake off the snow. Even with worst ice storm, they all hold up.

Here are some photos taken earlier this year, after the worst ice storm we've had in two years since we have chickens!

BTW, the nets even held up huge numbers of shark fin squashes in the fall. We had ~30 squashes growing on top of the net (first time vegetable gardener, didn't know how squash would grow like that! ). The weight of each squash ranges from 6 lbs to a little over 14 lbs (water melon size). We added the total weight, it was somewhere more than 300 lbs in total.

We use 2x2 posts with 2"x8" boards on top of the post to help hold up the net.

Attachments

• IMG_sharkfinsquash2.jpeg
    IMG_sharkfinsquash2.jpeg
    688.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_sharkfin_squash1.jpeg
    IMG_sharkfin_squash1.jpeg
    789.4 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom