Overheard a conversation....

Quote:
I also heard this years ago. Me being me, I had to point out that if this were true wild turkeys would have gone extinct long ago, at which point the story changed to domestic strains raised for meat. Given what I have seen and heard about large-scale commercial poultry raising, I do sometimes wonder if there is a grain of truth behind this one somewhere back in time ... broiler house poultry who have spent their (short) lives in a large building who suddenly find themselves outdoors and in the rain the first time might look up to see what is dripping on them.

Just some idle coffee-inspired musings.

I've never heard that before about chickens and turkeys. Glad that my chickens and turkeys don't know about it.
hmm.png

Oh my gosh, it surprises me how people who don't raise chickens try to act like they know everything about them! People at my school know how much I know about chooks and are always trying to one-up me by telling me false information about them. I just say "Nooo..." and explain the correct information, but they argue and act like i know nothing about chooks!
hmm.png

The chicken drowning is absurd but considering that polar bears and panda bears in the wild kill each other more than any one other source you would have to kill the alpha males to truly save them. Save them so they can kill each other I guess.

I had a friend tell me that his turkeys used to drown in the rain because they would look at the sky. This friend also told me that you don't want a rooster because they will make the hens eggs all bloody. He used to own chickens some 20-30 years ago, I guess maybe he lost some of his knowledge?
hu.gif
He has a very strong opinion and so I usually just nod my head and change the topic to prevent any disagreements.

Back
Top Bottom