Overheating easily?

If he's lying stretched out in the sun, he's sunbathing, which would explain why he feels warmer to the touch.

Does he have access to shaded areas as well, so he can cool down afterwards?
Yes there is shade when I have them outside. And Inside where the crate is they can’t get direct sunlight so it definitely doesn’t get as warm, I’ve seen him do the laying on his side before in his crate. I can try to get a video of it if he does it today also

At 70 degrees, I don't think your cockeral should be overheating. As long as he's hydrated, I wouldn't think electrolytes would be needed. Chickens body temp is 105-107F, so he should feel warm to the touch. Are you sure it's panting that he's doing? How's his comb color look compared to normal? Is he acting different in any other way?
I didn’t notice the comb changing color. But he is still young and not showing much. It definitely looked like panting to me, his beak was open and tongue “panting” similar to a dog but not actually hanging out. As soon as I noticed it I took him inside and he stopped. He’s acting normal otherwise. I’ve seen him do the laying on his side a few times and it always freaks me out. It does look like sun bathing though when I looked it up with grown chickens

Do you only have one chick?
Chickens are flock animals and do better with company.
Your picture shows your chick sunbathing. He is soaking up that warmth. Normal and natural behavior.
I have one chick and two ducks right now. My first chick died most likely from coccidosis though all were treated. And a rat dug into our brooder and killed two others. This is my only surviving one 😔 i am getting 18 more from the hatchery but they will not be ready until may

he has laid out like this inside the coop at night though with no sunlight and even seems to be doing it a bit this morning. Is that still normal?

Back
Top Bottom