Overheating?

Hotwings21

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 1, 2011
Does anyone know the signs of overheating? Can chickens become disoriented, lethargic, have diarrhea, be unable to stand and just lie there? I searched the web for answers with no luck. Two days ago our hen had all these signs. I called vet she said hen was knocking at deaths door. Now she is inside and after getting cooled she displays none of those things she did earlier. I called vet back and they told me she could have hit her head, that doesn't explain the diarrhea though. I asked if it could have been heat and the vet tells me not thus time of year.... Well I went out to my hens coop yesterday which is completely shaded and in the shade the thermometer read over 90 degrees. The hen is a plymouth rock, almost 3 months old.

Oh and when we found her she wasn't in her pen where her coop is she was in our main yard which is big and has trees, but a lot of areas with no shade also.

When chickens get hot their beaks will open, spread their wings away from their body, drink alot of water, dig a hole and lay in it (in the shade.) They will lay under bushes and come out in the late afternoon to forage. Their poop will be watery with a few solid pieces in it. It has been hot here in the low 90's and none of my chickens have displayed any heat related 'signs' yet. My Barred Rocks handled upper 90's and low100's record heat 5 weeks straight last summer pretty well. My EE showed signs of stress though(which surprised me) and I provided chilled watermelon and frozen cabbage for them. I changed their water 3 times a day and put ice in it when I could. I placed a fan at the entrance to their house...left it on high during the day and down to low at night providing air circulation. Fortunately it all worked out.

I understand what they do when they are hot, but what about if they have gone beyond that point? Like heat stroke or something. Is that possible?

Where are you living? It doesn't sound heat related, especially if the other chickens are fine. I'm in Florida, and mine haven't even started the mouth-open, wings out thing yet. Maybe she ate something bad.

I live just north of Jacksonville, Florida, chics in the sun...and I agree with you that it doesnt sound heat related. Hotwings21, have you checked her for lice or mites, have you seen any worms in her poop or blood?

When it happened I let them out at 330 pm an hour later I found her lying next to the house, she wouldn't get up. She was panting, and my husband tried to get her to stand and she would just lie there he poured water on her and she finally moved, but she was walking like she was drunk and couldn't stand for very long. Her poop was all water, no solid. I like in Inverness, FL. We rushed her to he dr. They gave her iv fluids, checked her poop- no worms or anything. They didn't see anything else wrong. They checked for any respiratory problems- nothing. We put her in the house and her poop has returned to normal and she is acting fine. I am going to keep her away from the others for 5-7 days but am still worried.

Quote:
Everything sounds good...I dont know if her comb or wattles are grown enough for you to see...but what color are they? (if they are visible) The reason I'm asking is if they are bluish or blackish in color, that could indicate a circulation problem, or a heart issue...not getting enough blood going through her body causing shortness of breath. You can also pick her up and put your ear to her chest and listen for any gurgling, wheezing or clicking. Gurgling and wheezing would indicate a respiratory problem. Clicking indicates a heart problem or heart valve problem. If you hear her normal breathing, digestive noises, and regular heartbeat only...everything is normal.

Frankly, in 90 degree temps, yes, a hen can heat stroke. I'm glad to hear she is doing better.

They begin by showing stress, open beaks, panting, holding wings out, etc. But eventually, they stroke beyond the ability to do those things, and become de-ydrated and disoriented. I find some breeds are a little more susceptible to heat than others. Shade, lots of water, and fans, if need be, and most healthy, strong chickens adjust.

Back
Top Bottom