Overly Aggressive Mating? I am thoroughly sick!

jhankerson10

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 24, 2012
Idaho
I haven't seen whether the roosters or then hens are doing this, but I am thinking that one of the roosters is--- I have 27 chickens total--- and unfortunately 4 of them are roosters. The roosters seem to be getting along pretty well, but the hens may be suffering from too many roosters in the hen house. I have 2 brown leghorns and two white leghorn hens, and the three older roosters are Australorps. I noticed the day before yesterday that One of the white leghorns has a wound, which I thought was just feathers pulled out on the back of her head--- so we put the medicine that helps cover up the blood smell etc. Well, after catching and cleaning up her wound we noticed that one of the brown leghorns has a wound as well--- so we did the same with her---- I went in to check on how things were looking with them both yesterday--- and the brown leghorns wound is way worse--- not only is it larger, but it appears that not only were the feathers plucked out, but the skin has been completely ripped off as well--- I think I can see muscle and am thoroughly grossed out and sickened by the entire thing--- and have been laying awake for hours ( it is 3 am here now) What should I do? I am thinking I am going to have to clean house and kill all of the roosters to be safe. The hens with the large wounds are probably going to have to be put out of their misery as well right? I mean, the brown leghorn can't live with a wound that bad? right?

Can't catch her to get a pic without help, so am going to get help when hubby gets home--- he's been gone for 3 weeks and will be home today sometime. thankfully

ok was reading a post from a buff orpington with a similar wound--- I am thinking it may just be an problem between hens and am thinking that maybe the other hens are picking on the leghorns not only because they are a lighter, smaller breed but probably has alot to do with the large floppy combs they have that are drawing attention. I need to get them separated until they heal.

Or, you are going to have to sit outside and babysit all day, find the rooster who is grabbing in the wrong spot and cull him. If he's damaging them now, he will be worse later. Also, you can't just put an injured chicken back in with others. Just cuz you put wound spray on, the minute a rooster goes after her, it'll just make it worse and she'll become a target. ALWAYS separate out injured birds. Even if all you have it a large tote to put her in.

I feel empathy for the stress you've been going through!!
hugs.gif

Some ideas that might help with problems:

You may want to get or make a chicken saddle to protect any hen that gets injured at least until she has enough time to heal.You can do a search on the forum for more info on chicken saddles, & I saw someone posted a sewing pattern for one recently.
One hen I had didn't have any major wounds from breeding but she'd been hurt & was so scared she didn't want to come down from the rafters. Right after I got a saddle for her, she started confidently joining the flock.

Don't feel too anxious about your hens' chances for healing. Lots of chickens recover from very bad, even to-the-bone wounds. Of course they have pain during the process, but I think the chickens many times are able to endure recovery time with a reasonable level of comfort. You might have to separate an injured bird during some of the time (depending on the severity & location of the wound & other birds' reactions). A chicken saddle can also provide enough protection for some wounds.

Also you can super-glue wounds closed. I have written instructions on that here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/517234/medical-treatments-recommended-by-bycers/30#post_8709505

There is info on the "Rooster Spurs" page on the site linked in my sig below on how to remove the outer shells of spurs if you think your roos' spurs are a serious hazard. Or you can file the spurs' ends a bit & then just wrap masking tape over the tips to cushion them. You can also trim & file down their claws & beaks.

If the roosters are much larger than the hens, breeding can be somewhat hard on the hens, especially hens that are squirmy, even if the roosters are quite gentle. Many different-sized chickens do get it figured out well, but it can be harder to not have injuries.

I don't know how old your roosters are, but when their hormones first kick in, roosters tend to be extra-enthusiastic for the first 3 or 4 months, I've observed, but settle down more after that.

I wouldn't expect 4 roosters to be too many for that many hens. Maybe living in an enclosure could make it a little too close for comfort with that many, though??

Whether breeding or bullying has created injuries, you can put obstacles around the coop (sacks of feed, chairs that don't tip over easily, etc) for the chickens to run around & under & to hop onto to get away from being chased; just make sure you don't set up any corners or dead-ends where a bird can get blocked in by others who might be bullying.

Let us know how things develop.

Last edited:
Don't kill the hens, I have had them down to the skull and they make it just fine. Mine was a case of a very bossy hen who didn't like anyone new in the pen, didn't matter how many new ones. She would pick out one and go after the back of their head. Hope you get it figured out soon, good luck
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom