Overly submissive lethargic silkie hen

Lumpybeansss

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2023
I have a beautiful silkie hen who was rejected and we had to bring her inside and hand rear her in the kitchen. She was a very lively happy chick who would stuff her crop with her favourite seeds until one day she wouldn’t come out of her nesting box and just sat in there all day. The following days she continued to do the same only eating the smallest amount of food, we started to get a bit concerned and didn’t know what to do. Some months later and she is still lethargic and doesn’t move or scratch around at all. We have recently got a new favorelle chicken to give her some company and she still isn't moving :( . Today we let her out with one of our cockerels, he is an araucana x silkie and as soon as we took her out he started mating with her, she is very small and only 8 months old and she can’t support a big cockerel on top of her but i kept an eye on her and she was fine, he walked off after and just left her alone but instead of going to see her favorelle friend, she just sat down like usual and stuck her head in her feathers. She continued like that for 2 hours until we picked her up and put her away for the night. We are not sure what to do since we have already had a silkie die from being overly submissive and letting the others peck her until she had a huge wound on her neck. If anyone has any advice on how to look after her or if she is sick it would be hugely appreciated:).
F230AD37-6646-4189-A4C9-61B5183E0C5A.jpeg

Last edited:
What was her normal diet when you first brought her inside?
It was baby bird starter food and once she got big enough we gave her chick crumb then moved her on to a seed mix but we would always give her little treats like veggies and some corn and fruit :).

I think she could have gotten weak from eating treats like seeds & fruit. I would try giving her just chick crumble, you can wet it in water with vitamins/electrolytes for extra health, and if she will take it egg yolk (raw or cooked) can give a boost. Keep her only on that for a week and see if she looks any better. If she does, I would cut treats completely. Not enough balanced feed can cause deficiencies. It could also be an illness, but im not well versed in those, so I would try the food change first. I really hope she gets better!

I think she could have gotten weak from eating treats like seeds & fruit. I would try giving her just chick crumble, you can wet it in water with vitamins/electrolytes for extra health, and if she will take it egg yolk (raw or cooked) can give a boost. Keep her only on that for a week and see if she looks any better. If she does, I would cut treats completely. Not enough balanced feed can cause deficiencies. It could also be an illness, but im not well versed in those, so I would try the food change first. I really hope she gets better!
Ok thank you so much! i will try it and hope it isn‘t an illness but i will give an update next week! :)

Ok thank you so much! i will try it and hope it isn‘t an illness but i will give an update next week! :)
Helloo, update on the silkie, we decided to tie up her floof cause she couldnt see at all and she seems so much happier now, she is pecking and scratching around now, the cockerel approached her and she acctually moved and ran away :))) so at least she is more active and not bothered by the cockerel anymore! I will keep an eye on her and make sure she is all good. :))

Back
Top Bottom