Overpecked hen - head injuries and very weak PIC *advice?*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cerumen3, Jan 14, 2012.

1. cerumen3

cerumen3 New Egg

Apr 2, 2011
    She can be food aggressive and i think one of my turkeys went after her. I cleaned her up and put neosporin all over her head area. She is moving around alittle in her isolated crate but no appetite (resting mainly). I put some apple and feed in there but no interest in it so far. I forced her to drink some water she isn't doing it on her own. Thank you for any advice on helping her recover.

[​IMG]

She is an Egyptian Fayoumi.

2. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    I just recenlty (a week ago) had to separate a hen that got picked on. I sprayed her wounds with that blue antiseptic spray and put her in a brooder with vitamin enriched water and some crumble and she has been recovering quite nicely. I hope yours recovers as well. Of course, with her having the wound on her head, be careful about getting anything in her eyes or nose. Wishing her a speedy recovery.

3. cerumen3

cerumen3 New Egg

Apr 2, 2011
    Thank you very much Taylor Farms. I did give her some pediayte and baby aspirin in a dropper - she swallowed the liquid but still no interest in food. thinking about feeding mash with water in oral syringe if she doesn't eat in the morning. I am not sure how long adult chickens can go without eating... mine seem hungry all the time!

4. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    How is she? I've seen some stories/pics of chickens that have survived far worse. Our own hen had a prolapsed vent that was torn and fleshy from egg shell. She healed. Keep us posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by