Oversexed Rooster

Annasg

Songster
10 Years
Jun 13, 2013
I have a New Hampshire White rooster, beautiful chicken, but I think he may be oversexed. I have a Plymouth Rock hen that he has almost killed because he has rode her so much and has dug his spurs into her sides so bad that I am wondering if her open wounds will ever heal. I have isolated her until I can build more Coop for to isolate him. I bought some blue lotion for her and she seems to be doing ok, but I hate keeping her cooped up in a small cage until I get the run finished. Any ideas, anyone , on what more I can do? He does not seem to have the same interest in the rest of the hens. Can roosters be de-spurred?

I think some people remove spurs but I couldn't do it. We had the same problem and in the end we gave away our rooster to a fella keeping 60 hens. You might want to consider the same. It can get to the point where the hens can stop laying because of being harassed by the rooster so much. The feathers will have difficulty returning if he's mounting them all the time.

Thats what I am afraid of. I have a beautiful hen that he just mounts several times a day. Now that I have her in a cage, it is just driving him nuts but he seems to not have any interest in any of the other hens. Sure am glad for that. Gonna try and get his another place to roost this weekend but I am just not sure what I will do with him for the winter, gotta keep that in mind too. Gonna be costly and right now I just cant afford it.

Thats what I am afraid of. I have a beautiful hen that he just mounts several times a day. Now that I have her in a cage, it is just driving him nuts but he seems to not have any interest in any of the other hens. Sure am glad for that. Gonna try and get his another place to roost this weekend but I am just not sure what I will do with him for the winter, gotta keep that in mind too. Gonna be costly and right now I just cant afford it.
They can be de spurred. If you go to the search area on top and type in removing rooster spurs, I am sure you can find out how to do it.
My young roo that is hard on the girls does not have spurs yet.............

Thank you, Chickydee. Just dont know what direction I am going to go yet. I dont want to put her back with the flock because I dont want the other hens picking at her wounds but I dont want him getting any friskier than he has been already. Like I said, he has not seemed to bother the rest of them but I am not out there camping with them either. Time will tell I guess.

We don't remove my roosters spurs but we do keep them trimmed. We catch him up oh maybe once a month, clip the spur back and file it so it's rounded. There is a method of twisting off the spur so only the quick remains, nothing I'm personally interested in doing but I've seen it done. The trimming seems to work for us and makes it a lot easier on the girls.

you could try some chicken glass that might slow him down , they sell them on ebay it blocks their vision but they still can eat and drink water check them out on ebay, i have never tried them but i heard they work good for that and their not allot of money.

Back
Top Bottom