Oversized crop won't go down. Help!

BayFillyZ

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 8, 2010
Alabama
This is my first post on the board. I started getting chickens a year and a half ago. Whenever I have a question or health issue I can usually find the answer here by reading about others who have gone through the same things. But so far the health issue I am currently dealing with is baffling me. The chicken is a bantam cochin hen age 1.5 years. Her crop is VERY full tight and enlarged. Maybe the size of a large lemon. Massaging it feels like is is full of grit or corn like a beanbag. Despite this, her bahaviour has been normal in every way and she has actually been in this condition at least 2 mos. (i thought her large crop was normal until recently) After reading treatments for impacted crop i have tried removing her from food and syringing olive oil and water into her. when i hold her upside down and massage the crop. the only stuff coming out is some clearish slime--but not a lot of that. it's been 3 days now and crop has not shrunk very much at all. WHen the slime comes out she smells a little stinky but not when her beak is empty. i gave her some oil soak bread to eat this morning. her poop looks normal. is there anything else i can do for her? if she is behaving normally should I just leave her alone? Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Do you have a photo of her?

She may have been gorging on grit. I had a hen like that and it took a little while to get rid of it. Please don't turn your hen upside down again or the pressure on her lungs may cause her to stop breathing. Cup the mass several times a day and gently lift without massaging to see if some liquid or soft food will pass. Is she making any motions as though hiccoughing? Check to see if she is losing weight (probably is). Take her aside from the others once a day for some diced fresh tomatoes. The acid will help to break down the grit and reduce the odor. The oil also helps and can be given using the sipping reflex. No yogurt please as you have noted a bad smell. PM me and I will guide you as you go- this will take a while to fix but can be done. Also, do you have any reason to believe that the hen swallowed any metal or twine?

Check Incident 02. on this page

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=7693-sick-hen

Last edited:
Thanks LynneP, I have PMed you but unsure you got the message and photo link because my *sent* folder is still empty.

No help with the crop here, but I can help with the PMs. When you compose a PM, before clicking submit click in the box that says "Save Message". You have to check the box for it to save it.

Back
Top Bottom