Overweight Pekins

farmkat55

Songster
6 Years
May 1, 2016
South Dakota
I have read that it's not good for ducks to get overweight, but Pekins are pretty big as it is. I have a pair, male and female. Not sure of the weight but they are good sized!

I thought if we let them out every day into the backyard (we have a small 17 acre farm) that they would not need grit and they would essentially be eating anyway. When they come in at night, they beep and quack like they have never eaten! So, I give them a small amount of finisher for the night. Am I doing this wrong?

My question is....how do I know if my ducks are overweight? :)

Thanks!
Kathy

You should be able to feel a breast bone. If you can't, they are overweight. If the walk around fine, and have exercise regularly, they will do great.

Yep, only feed at night since they are outside all day...for now. But winter will be another story! I think I will weight them and feel for the breastbone, too! They do walk...and run...all over the back yard so I guess that's good.

Do ducks eat like goats...all the time and like they never had a meal? LOL!! Even after being out all day, they gab at me big time waiting for a bowl of their crumble stuff!

Last edited:
Yep, only feed at night since they are outside all day...for now.  But winter will be another story!  I think I will weight them and feel for the breastbone, too!  They do walk...and run...all over the back yard so I guess that's good.

Do ducks eat like goats...all the time and like they never had a meal?  LOL!!  Even after being out all day, they gab at me big time waiting for a bowl of their crumble stuff!

Well, Pekins are 9-10 lbs or more... but mine have always been eager for treats. Lol, they love clover too!

They know you feed them at night, so of course they are excited and want to remind you to feed them just in case you forget! (Like we ever could!). Lol

Another question...the ducks are 17 weeks tomorrow and I think it's time to change their food from grower-finisher to something else, right? I thought it was to a layer type food, but is it the same for males and females? I have one of each and am confused as to what to feed them now! Ideas are appreciated!

Kathy

Another question...the ducks are 17 weeks tomorrow and I think it's time to change their food from grower-finisher to something else, right?  I thought it was to a layer type food, but is it the same for males and females?  I have one of each and am confused as to what to feed them now!  Ideas are appreciated!

Kathy

Oh, you should have switched them a looong time ago.

What I do is I switch all of them to maintenence ration and provide free choice calcium, as well as some grower food for broodies.
Drakes should not have layer feed, so if you have them make sure they don't get this. Hens need calcium and protein of 16-18% whereas drakes shouldn't have calcium or protein above 17%.

Ok, I'm a little confused. We fed the Dumor brand chick starter till about 10 wks, then the grower-finisher till about 18 wks...I believe that's correct and it was done on the recommendation on bag. The bag says to start any potential layers on layer feed now at 18 wks. It does not say what to feed the drakes.

So, we fed them wrong? The dang ducks look and act healthy as horses! They roam the yard all day, swim in their pool a lot and come to the coop in the evening and get some of the last of the grower crumbles I have to finish as they are put up for the night. I was told if they forage outside, no need for grit...although I have some. Also, how much feed should they actually eat if they forage also? I just guess, very conservatively. So, I cannot even find what to feed drakes if I google it! Just not to feed layer food. But we only have this pair and they love each other and are always together...they quack and fret if separated. So, because they are opposite sexes, we always need to feed separate? IF I can find what to feed the drake that is! I KNEW I should have gotten a few more! LOL!

Since I am feeding horses, llamas, goats, cats and dogs...on top of the ducks...I'd love to get a simple plan to feed them that best for them!

Ok, I'm a little confused.  We fed the Dumor brand chick starter till about 10 wks, then the grower-finisher till about 18 wks...I believe that's correct and it was done on the recommendation on bag.  The bag says to start any potential layers on layer feed now at 18 wks.  It does not say what to feed the drakes.  

So, we fed them wrong?  The dang ducks look and act healthy as horses!  They roam the yard all day, swim in their pool a lot and come to the coop in the evening and get some of the last of the grower crumbles I have to finish as they are put up for the night.  I was told if they forage outside, no need for grit...although I have some. Also, how much feed should they actually eat if they forage also?  I just guess, very conservatively. So, I cannot even find what to feed drakes if I google it!  Just not to feed layer food.  But we only have this pair and they love each other and are always together...they quack and fret if separated. So, because they are opposite sexes, we always need to feed separate?  IF I can find what to feed the drake that is!  I KNEW I should have gotten a few more!  LOL!

Since I am feeding horses, llamas, goats, cats and dogs...on top of the ducks...I'd love to get a simple plan to feed them that best for them!

Okay the suggestions you were given are COMPLETELY wrong. Not fatal, just wrong.
This is what Dave Holderread (renowned owner and founder of Holderread Farms) recommends.
0-2 weeks: starter. Chick starter needs a niacin supplment for waterfowl. 20%-17%
2-8 or 10 weeks- Grower. 18%-16%
10 weeks to first egg or butcher date: If butchering- use a finisher. If not, use a 14-18% maintenence ration for chickens or ducks until the first egg is laid.
Laying birds- 14-18% maintenece w/ free choice calcium or 14-18% layer (chicken) ration.
Drakes- keep on a maintence ration. Do not allow any calcium or layer feed, it can harm them.

IMPORTANT: Grit (granite) must be given free choice for ANY bird that eats greens or anything other than commercial food!!!! That way you are assured they are getting the most out of their food and getting more than enough grit.
Oystershell or dried, crushed egg shells must be provided to laying birds on maintenence ration.

My birds sre about to lay. Throughout the laying season, they have free choice 16% maintence ration. They also have free choice oyster shell and grit. This way, the drakes never get an overdose of calcium, while the hens get enough necessary.

Back
Top Bottom