Overwhelmed chicken newbie

Welcome! I just signed up today, though I've been reading the forums for a couple of months. I've never had chickens before, but so far they're easier than horses. Mine are free range with 2 acres to frolic on (only going in their coop to sleep and lay eggs). They're so full of personality you're going to love them! Our Border Collie instantly took on the role of protector. Can't comment on the cat though as we don't have one.
20171210_085015.jpg
20171209_151420.jpg

Hi PuttinOnTheRitz and :welcome
You are in the right place to get some great information and support to get started. Don't worry too much as you are going to enjoy your chickens. Just concentrate on providing for the basics needs to start with. You'll develop your judgement as you go along and be surprised how some things are vital and others don't seem to apply to your chicks or to your climate.

One item you already have is an eleven year old child. My grand-daughter spends time with my chickens whenever she can, she has them happy to be held and has learned all about their personalities, likes and dislikes. We learn together. Certainly makes for fun chicken-keeping.

Enjoy! I look forward to hearing your adventures and remember to ask anything, anytime, here as there are many, many people ready to help and lots of photos along the way, too, please. :jumpy

Welcome to BYC!
It can seem very overwhelming at 1st but you've come to the right place. Are there particular concerns that are giving you extra anxiety compared to the others that we might be able to help you with a?
I guess my first concern is keeping the chicks warm enough. We'll be starting them in the house but there seems to be varying opinions on the best way to keep them warm. The heating plate looks awesome but seems rather pricey, lamps is what I originally thought we would use but that doesn't seem too popular on here. The diy heating pad tunnel seems like a good option but how do you regulate the temperature? I had read that you are supposed to reduce the temperature by 5° a week, but how do you do that with a heating pad?

:welcome

Beautiful horses, thanks for sharing some photos with us!

Chicks are pretty good about letting you know if they are comfortable. If they stay far away from the heat source they are too warm. If they sit under the heat source constantly they are too cold. You want to see them active, moving back & forth from the heat regulating themselves. You can use a thermometer to check the temperature of your heat source.

Best of luck to you, make yourself at home here and always feel free to ask questions. You can do this!

JUst a FYI regarding the heating pad.
Be sure you get the correct heating pad that has the option to stay on. Sunbeam is the brand I use, and NFC is right. They will let you know. If they need to warm up, they will go under , and if too warm, they will move away from the heat source. Just make sure you get a big enough box/ brooder because they not only grow so fast, they need enough room to move away from the heat source if they get too warm.

I lean toward using the heating pad as well, and you can gradually turn the settings from high to medium to low, then off for a week or so before sending them outside. But, many, many, many healthy, wonderful chicks have been raised using a heat lamp. In fact, for large batches of chicks, I still pull mine out. It's going to be okay no matter what you choose. And, welcome to BYC - your horse pics are lovely!

Back
Top Bottom