1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Overwhelmed!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by amijab, Mar 13, 2017.

1. wyldflwr

wyldflwr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    My Coop
    Although not a newbie, it's been a couple of decades since we've kept chickens. I came here for a refresher.
    Many people have good advice. I've found great suggestions on various topics to resolve issues I remember from the past and to help simplify things.
    Don't use this forum as your only resource of information. Do your own research and think about your own needs as well. If it's too complicated you won't want to deal with it.
    Have fun and good luck.

1 person likes this.

2. Make sure you use a food grade/safe paint. Also make sure that any gaps to the outside, including any ventilation, is cover with half inch or smaller hardware cloth or similar (chicken wire will not do, gaps are too large).

Here's a basic list of things the coop & run will need, anything else is optional.

https://www.mypetchicken.com/backyard-chickens/chicken-care/chapter-5-chicken-coop-requirements.aspx

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  3. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts

So what's a good "food grade/safe paint" and why, specifically, would one need to make sure one uses that rather than a good exterior paint?

4. Regular exterior paint is fine for the exterior, but for the interior you want something that's non toxic. Non food grade paint can off-gas and be toxic in a confined space. Your hardware store or wherever you choose to buy your paint can point you in the right direction.

5. Birdydeb

Birdydeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Ask at whichever store you buy paint for their NoVOC or LowVOC paint. VOC stands for volatile organic compounds and is the stuff that off gases and gives paint a smell. Pretty much all paint brands sell low or no VOC paint in both their exterior and interior paints. I use Olympic from Lowes but there are several out there. :)

6. amijab

amijab Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2011
    Hmm i

Hmm I was going to use a solid color deck stain... I guess I better find out if it's low voc?

7. amijab

amijab Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2011
    Ok I have a question. I see that many people put their roosts by a window. I was going to do this but there is no easy way to reach them to open and shut them if I have the roost/poop board set up right underneath. Is it too big of a problem to put the roosts on the other wall that is the back wall of the shed?

8. Could you possibly put shutters on hinges on the outside that can be closed or opened as necessary from the outside?

ETA: The roost themself can be put on hinges to lift and latch out of the way. Not only would it give you access to the windows, it would give you access to underneath the roost for easy cleaning. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  9. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio

I purposely did not put the roost/poopboard by the windows to avoid drafts. It wouldn't be a problem in a warm climate though, but here in OH the cold wind blows!

10. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas

These things are really easy to over-think, I can be bad about that myself. The roosts will be fine along a back wall away from the window. An important factor in setting up a coop is to make it convenient for you. In many ways the chickens don’t really care. There is no reason to make life any harder for you than it has to be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by