Owl deterrent

lpstony

In the Brooder
Oct 31, 2016
Ive had problems with owls around my chickens. Ive tried those solar powered LED red blinking lights on a photocell. They dont last very many hours. I was at the hardware looking for another solution and i found a 3watt LED bulb that looks like a disco bulb , and it rotates. I will post pics. I havent seen or heard the owl since. I think it confuses it.
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Ive had problems with owls around my chickens. Ive tried those solar powered LED red blinking lights on a photocell. They dont last very many hours. I was at the hardware looking for another solution and i found a 3watt LED bulb that looks like a disco bulb , and it rotates. I will post pics. I havent seen or heard the owl since. I think it confuses it.
[/URL]
You having the owl problem at night I would Think??? Are your chickens inside a safe coop at night?? I have owls too, but never a problem. Several times I have about walked into a owl that was sitting on something a couple feet off the ground----I figured it was after mice at night----which was a good thing so I never tried to run them off.

I'm confident I have owls around.........I once noticed something soar by the fringe of illumination of the dusk to dawn light that looked as big as one of those flying monkeys in the Wizard of Oz. Never see them during the day, however.

My birds are locked up at night so in no danger then. If there was an owl around, I'd think it a good thing. Combined with the cats, the coyotes, the fox and in the summer various snakes, all patrolling to make sure any rats or mice that show up are picked off.

The flip side of that is if you leave feed out that attracts rats and mice, those in turn also attract all those predators, including weasels.

[/IMG]

Your approach seems plausible. My owls seem to visit poultry area less when fence has a short with audible pop and obvious flash.

Back
Top Bottom